Saturday Garden Journal

Today we packed the car with plenty of water, hats and sunscreen and headed off on a short road trip to the Margaret Roberts Herbal Centre in the NW Province. It was a really hot and humid day but the surroundings were so beautiful that we were able to ignore the heat for short periods of time.

My poor family found a shady spot while my mom-in-law and I looked through each and every one of the plants that were for sale. There were culinary herbs, herbs for healing and plants to make herbal insect repellent sprays. This was all so very exciting, (don’t you also think so?) I could have stayed there for hours just reading about what each herb was capable of and then thinking furiously where I could possibly plant more plants in our garden.

Caiden discovered a Labyrinth, it was beautiful, we walked it together, weaving in and out of each narrow path… He then commented, “Mom, this is such a beautiful tree, if you listen carefully, you can hear the bees buzzing all around it”. I was so happy that this boy noticed the beautiful tree and the lovely bees…

After all that searching through the many plants and listening to many sighs from my ravenous family, (they were so sweet to wait while their mom ran crazily around looking at plants) we did enjoy a delicious lunch and then packed these beauties in the above photo into the boot of the car.

I found lovely Lavender that I intend to plant around the chicken enclosure to keep the mosquitoes at bay AND I found a guava tree! This was such an excellent discovery, I have never found one before at a nursery. When I used to live at the coast we had a huge tree in our garden and it gave us the most wonderful guavas that my Gran used to stew, so, of course I had to buy this tree. They are very frost sensitive, so I think it will have to live in a large pot and will have to be moved under the veranda each winter to protect it from frost.

I also found some blackberries and a sweet pepper plant, I intent to bottle these peppers, we love them. My mom-in-law was so kind to buy us a Macadamia nut tree, how wonderful!! Thanks mom:)

PS Thanks so much to everyone who favorited my little Hippo Pattern, she has been on the Ravelry hot list most of the day, it has been very exciting to see her up there,  so thank you all!!

It’s almost time for the Natural Suburbia Christmas Ornament Swap again, so if you are keen to take part, the post should be going up for that tomorrow.

Have a wonderful weekend.

, ,

10 Responses to Saturday Garden Journal

1. Angela October 6, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

Ooh, you can never have too much lavender!!

Our garden journal today…. http://www.larksongknits.com/2012/10/06/low-key/

2. Angela October 6, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

Ooh, you can never have too much lavender!!

Our garden journal today…. http://www.larksongknits.com/2012/10/06/low-key/

3. Patti Waldfogel October 6, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

Thank you for sharing your lovely day!!!

4. Nancy Hoxworth October 6, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

It’s so much fun to hear about Spring as we head into Winter! Since I’m not at all familiar with South Africa, could you put a map on your blog? I’d love to be able to place the area where you live.

5. Diana October 6, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

Everything is so beautiful! I went to Chicago last month and saw 2 beautiful gardens. The Lurie Gardens and the chicago botanical garden. They are beautiful too. I love visiting gardens everywhere I go. You can see them in the internet.

6. Janet R October 7, 2012 at 1:24 am #

My husband and I also love to look at plants in botanical gardens and nurseries everywhere we go! We are in Costa Rica for some Spanish language classes and I’m so excited to see plants I recognize and lots that I don’t. They’re so beautiful! It’s great to hear about your day!

7. Lori Ann October 7, 2012 at 5:19 am #

Love the gardens – but also the whole family enjoying the adventure! What a sweet day!

8. Wendy October 7, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

Linda, I would have loved to have had this experience. I have her books and she talks about how she had one big bed planted with tomatoes, various Basil and another flower and the way she describes it sounds like eye candy!

9. K October 7, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

Once again, I have gone lagging – too much to do, not enough sitting down time. I think of you very often, and am ashamed to have my heart block still sitting on my desk. I can’t believe I would be late on such an important and heart-deep thing. So I am ashamed and embarrassed.

I feel sympathy for your faithful family, waiting for mom. I often waited for mine, and my family often waits on me. Though I am not a gardener, I love to be in places that are in the care of people who are. What a wonderful thing for the soul.

10. Africanaussie October 8, 2012 at 4:33 am #

Oh I went there in August when I visited South Africa! What a beautiful place! Their lavender alley was stunning, and I loved the labyrinth and the little chapel with all the various poems/prayers. Did you have lunch at the cafe? The salad with all the assorted colorful flowers was superb. Thanks for bringing back that happy memory – although I do re-live it every evening when I have a pot of their rooibos tea and herb mix.