In the Garden

Squash1

A lovely weekend has passed, we rode our bikes and spent time with our friends. Jen wrote her physical science test today and she seemed to be quite happy with it. Erin started crocheting again this weekend and has made the cutest headband but I’ll share more about that in another post. We did sit together in the sun today, she was crocheting and I was knitting, it was really lovely to spend time together and just chat.

These are a few of the harvested Souties squash that we’ve grown this year. The smaller ones are very tasty but the large ones are basically empty and have hardly any flesh inside unfortunately. Oh well…

Delilah2

Delilah1

Our sweet Delilah never misses an opportunity to come outside with us to see what’s happening in the garden.

Flowers3

Kye Veggies

Kye1

Kye Carrots

Kye in the Garden

Kye picking his carrots that he planted. He’s working on a gardening badge for cubs.

Peppers

Mielies

Our mielies are mostly finished too, so Caiden was pulling out all the dead stalks. I really love it when the children join me in the veggie garden.

Lizzard

I also had a tiny visitor in my kitchen yesterday….

I have a lovely link to share with you, it’s a cover of the song Say Something, here it’s being sung by Pentatonix, so beautiful and the only musical instrument they’ve used is a cello!

Happy St Patrick’s Day♥

9 Responses to In the Garden

1. Lisa March 17, 2014 at 10:35 pm #

Thank you for sharing the song.

• Linda March 18, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

You’re welcome Lisa:)

2. Marie Bowman March 17, 2014 at 11:50 pm #

Such lovely photos! That song is my current favorite, sung by Alex & Sierra the winners on the X-Factor here on TV.

• Linda March 18, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

Thanks Marie, it is such a moving song.

3. Africanaussie March 18, 2014 at 3:36 am #

It is awesome when children get out in the garden. I probably got more excited than I should have when my grandchildren actually ate the microgreens we had grown…. it is not that they even ate a full serving of vegetables, but they were green and they liked them! that music clip was fantastic – what talent!

4. lori March 18, 2014 at 4:35 am #

how extraordinary to sit and knit/crochet with your girl, i love that linda, you must have been beaming.and gardening with your boys, makes me miss those days so much, they look like naturals! is that a little gecko?
    so cute!

• Linda March 18, 2014 at 5:09 pm #

It’s a tiny lizard, he was watching a fly most of the afternoon, he was very cute!

5. cath March 18, 2014 at 4:40 am #

Lovely squashes. Do you ever carve jack o lanterns? Wrong time of year, but it might be an amusing thing to do with the large squashes.
    Not being from Africa, I had to look up miele. I’d love to see what you cook from it.

• Linda March 18, 2014 at 5:11 pm #

Hi Cath,
      We haven’t carved jack o lanterns, that’s actually a good idea seeing we’re heading into Autumn and we can’t eat the larger squashes.
      We just remove the mielies (corn) from the plant and boil them up in salt water, smear butter all over them, add more salt and eat. Too divine:)