Day Trip to Ezemvelo Nature Reserve

Ezemvelo Nature Reserve10

Ezemvelo Nature Reserve11

Ezemvelo Nature Reserve12

Ezemvelo Nature Reserve13

Ezemvelo Nature Reserve14

Ezemvelo Nature Reserve15

A few days ago, we went on a short day trip to the beautiful Ezemvelo Nature Reserve. There is a lovely river there, our children swam and played for hours, climbing over rocks and exploring. We saw so many animals just a few metres from our car and they just stood and looked at us inquisitively. I had no idea this gorgeous place was so close to our home. I think we will be visiting often. Richard has taken 3 weeks off from work, it’s really wonderful to have this time with him.

Wishing you all a wonderful Solstice tomorrow.

12 Responses to Day Trip to Ezemvelo Nature Reserve

1. jezz December 20, 2012 at 11:58 pm #

Do you know the name of the yellow bird in the tree, and is it the same bird as the nest builders?
    Thanks for sharing your photographs!

• Linda December 21, 2012 at 11:02 am #

Hi Jezz,
      The yellow bird is called a Masked Weaver. Those nests were all built by him and there were so many hatchlings in the nests. We have 2 Weaver families living in our garden and it’s amazing to watch the males build their nests.

2. Ginny December 21, 2012 at 12:18 am #

You photos are lovely, but I found the bird nests particularly striking. Perhaps they should have their own craft blog?

• Linda December 21, 2012 at 11:03 am #

They are amazing weavers.

3. linda December 21, 2012 at 1:12 am #

I just love going onto your site youhave the most intesting photos I live in New Hampshire USA and it’s just so nice to see pictures of a diferent way of living. Thank you for sharing . Linda Carey

4. Barbara December 21, 2012 at 4:49 am #

The first picture fascinated me. The large ears remind me of the mule deer of the western U.S. but these animals are much more delicate and graceful looking. What long, slender legs to support this lovely creature. Beautiful

• Linda December 21, 2012 at 11:05 am #

These Impala are such beautiful creatures.

5. Crystal December 21, 2012 at 7:53 am #

Stunning! Don’t you just love SA. If it wasn’t so flat I could have sworn you were here in KZN. Glad your family had a good time. And as Ginny mentioned, the weaver nests are a work of art! Amazing what such little creatures can do.

• Linda December 21, 2012 at 11:06 am #

They are busy little birds, it really is amazing how they can weave long leaves into beautiful hollow nests.

6. Woolies December 23, 2012 at 7:30 pm #

So beautiful, and magnificent. Thank you for sharing!

7. Amanda December 24, 2012 at 5:57 am #

Oh my what a dreamy place you live in. SA is on my must visit list. Thank you for letting me live through you.

8. Chelsea W December 28, 2012 at 9:39 pm #

Thanks for this. I needed a glimpse of nature in the warm sunshine. Glad you had fun! And thanks for the giveaway on http://syrendell.blogspot.com 🙂