What I Did Today

Today I joined Richard on one of his mountain bike rides out in the country. Now you must understand, I have ridden plenty of times on the road but never off road. This was a whole new experience and I was a little daunted this morning and almost didn’t go with. I did, however and it was great, when I say great, I mean I am thrilled that I was able to set off on this journey and return back to our car without having to stop too many times.  A few times, I really didn’t think I would make it, especially when I was riding up this long hill, full of tiny rocks which seemed to go on forever… I am determined to get fit, I feel so good already (really tired, but good)!  I had a wonderful time riding with Richard, I managed to cross a few narrow bridges without stopping and even rode straight through a couple of streams. There was one bridge that I decided to walk over because when I looked at the water flowing under it, it looked just a tad toxic and I really didn’t want to land in that, so off I got and walked. I was really exhausted afterwards but I would do it again tomorrow, I loved being out in the open, surrounded by nature and spending time with my love.

After we returned home, I cast on another cowl, this is going to be a gift for a very special friend. Her favourite colour is purple and she enjoys wearing scarves and cowls. I don’t think, well I hope she won’t look here and see it, I have until Wednesday to finish but it’s almost done. It’s just a single cowl, an easy little pattern that I will share as soon as I am finished:)

Well, I’m off to knit this evening, what have you been busy doing today?

12 Responses to What I Did Today

1. Linda Schultz November 3, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

Knitted an apple jacket…watching the Michigan game…

2. Nancy Hoxworth November 3, 2012 at 10:26 pm #

Had coffee with my 91-year old German friend, found lovely yarns and fabric scraps at the Ladies of Charity Bazaar, am making chicken stock, and managed a few more rows on my husband’s winter scarf — a lovely blue gray wool/cashmere/alpaca blend. The smell of natural food and the feel of natural fibers is so comforting.

3. Barb Yerke November 3, 2012 at 11:51 pm #

Good for you. Tackling the trails and living to talk about it. I have decided to start roller skating again. At 57 and SO out of shape, I hope my bones are up for it.

I love the purple cowl. I am in the middle of making your green one. I LOVE the pattern. So comfortable to knit.

Have a great weekend.

4. Ginny November 4, 2012 at 12:45 am #

Intended to do lots of crafty christmassy things, but instead did a jigsaw. Aaah! What was I thinking.

5. sarah @ gladys in the garden November 4, 2012 at 1:40 am #

Your ride sounds like a lot of fun. I’ve been moutain biking a few times with my husband. Don’t do what I do and I look around too much when you are riding. One time I wasn’t looking where I was going and rode straight into a pot hole and I went over the handle bars. As soon as my husband realised I was ok he couldn’t stop laughing. I haven’t done that again.
    I spent the day with my mum and we went to an art opening of one of her friends, which happened to be someone my husband and I knew about 20 years ago. Small world.

6. Pam November 4, 2012 at 4:38 am #

Love that shade of purple! I had a class on making beautiful mesh ribbon Christmas wreaths this morning. The rest of the day have been entertaining friends visiting from upstate New York. Counting the hours until our election is OVER! Amen….no more phone calls! LOL

7. Pam November 4, 2012 at 4:38 am #

8. Andee November 4, 2012 at 5:46 am #

I’ve been busy keeping warm and knitting my son a red sweater! I love your stitch marker. The purple cowl is so pretty. I can’t wait to find out who is getting it. So much fun!

9. Lynda M O November 4, 2012 at 5:56 am #

The cowl color rocks my boat–purple is a beautiful color and becoming popular; I have ordered circular needles to try your pattern as my first attempt.

I am putting together a “Quilt-ain,” a quilty curtain, for the computer room windows of a dear friend in Ontario. I have been working on that during the week while looking after a precocious and energetic two-year old for friends. Wish I had a few more hands and at least one more set of eyes and that the new set be able to see around corners is imperative.

Thanks for the knitting patterns.

10. lori November 4, 2012 at 5:56 am #

linda that is so awesome! i bet your husband was thrilled to have you join him. i love the photo of you riding, it looks like a beautiful day. i used to ride when i was younger, unfortunatly all our trails around here are rated expert (straight up, large rocks, boulders, single track) and after a few injuries i don’t anymore. i’m keeping my bike though, in case we go someplace a bit more gentle. one time we went riding at bushmans kloof in the cederberg!
    what a lucky friend to recieve a handknit from you!

11. Brigid November 4, 2012 at 7:39 am #

The purple cowl is absolutely gorgeous! Today I worked on finishing a steel grey wool hat, and helped dd finish a little baby cap in cream and sage cotton – we did that in one evening! I am so excited. I started a striped scarf sitting in bed last night and worked a bit more on it today – for a little girl in our homeschool group who lost her home to Sandy. The cold is here, more knitting to do – I think I am amazing myself.

12. K November 5, 2012 at 5:55 am #

I know that G secretly wishes I would ride with him. But off road here is SO daunting, what with the mountain slopes and the rocky ridges. The treadmill is my fitness – but I don’t look nearly so good doing it as you do on that bike –