Portrait Saturday

Pattipans

Our Patti Pan vine has been producing the most divine squashes. I leave them to grow until they are quite large in size, then roast them along with, red peppers, onions, tomatoes, cubed cooked potato, carrots, marrows and celery. When Erin came home from her hike a couple of weeks ago, she only wanted to eat grilled veggies! I could hardly believe it but she said she hadn’t eaten any veggies all weekend and she was really looking forward to a huge serving. I was thrilled to hear these words, or do most children tell their parents how much they have missed eating vegetables??? Not wasting any time, off we went, down to the veg garden and picked the largest patti pan we could find. We cubed it, sauteed some onions and garlic in olive oil in a pan and then added everything including the above ingredients to an oven dish and let it all roast slowly, mixing occasionally until cooked. It was scrumptious!

14 Responses to Portrait Saturday

1. Luisa February 9, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

With beautiful vegetables like that who wouldn’t want to eat grilled vegetables. My kids look forward to the vegeatables from our csa in the summer. Right now for us it’s a long way off.

2. Linda Pfeffer February 9, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

I LOVE Patti Pan squash! I like to slice it 1/4″ thick; dip in a batter; fry in butter/oil combo til golden on both sides….salt ‘n pepper – fabulous!!

3. Lissa February 9, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

Sounds yummy!! I also have a vegetable garden that I share with the deer!! After art nights blizzard, can’t wait to start ta gardn again!

4. Deborah February 9, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

That sounds delicious. What is marrow?

• Linda February 10, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

Hi Deborah,
      A marrow looks like a cucumber and belongs to the cucumber family along with courgettes, squashes and pumpkins.

5. Andrea February 9, 2013 at 11:13 pm #

I love Patti Pan! They add such a nice color to a pan of roasted veggies 🙂

6. steph February 9, 2013 at 11:17 pm #

patti pan is one of my favorites….but i’ve never tried growing it! maybe this is the year.

7. Ellisen February 10, 2013 at 2:13 am #

Yummy! Love that squash. I’m drooling!

8. Barbara February 10, 2013 at 3:36 am #

While you are picking those beautiful vegetables, here, in Central Ohio, my husband Richard was out picking Snowdrops from a clump in rapidly melting snow. His little posey fit nicely in a very small whiskey glass. Are you are familiar with the small bulb (Galanthus)? Or does the species not grow in South Africa.

• Linda February 10, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

How lovely, yes we do get them here:)

9. Barbara February 10, 2013 at 3:43 am #

I echo Deborah’s question – what is marrow. I suppose it is a squash of some sort, but which?

• Linda February 10, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

It has a cucumber shape but doesn’t taste like a cucumber, the taste is bland but when salt, garlic and pepper are added together with roasted veggies, it’s too divine:)

10. Lynda M O February 10, 2013 at 6:25 am #

Yummy looking and I bet delightful on the taste buds. Kids that love veggies are my favorite kids-they usually have their head in the right spot about the important things in life.

11. Cathy S February 10, 2013 at 11:37 am #

Sounds really yummy – I will be making it soon. Thanks for sharing! I didn’t know what marrow was, nor snowdrops, so I Googled both of them. Now I know! (I searched “marrow vegetable” and “Snowdrops plant”. Very interesting read, question answered!.

Thanks – CathyS