Up Goes the Christmas Tree

We spent Saturday morning dressing our tree with all our handmade decorations and a few shop bought ones and I do feel happy each time I catch a glimpse of it as I walk past.

Friday night was busy, when we came home from scouts, Sandy couldn’t stand up! At about 10:30pm we rushed off to a wonderful emergency vet, just down the road.  She was given a shot, her left side seemed paralysed. We brought her home and hoped for the best! On Saturday morning, I was very nervous to walk into the lounge, I was hoping she would be fine and her usual crazy, happy self. She was! We have no idea what could have caused it, the vet was also mystified but we are all so grateful!!!

We are off to braai with our lovely friends tonight and have a gratitude supper to begin our Christmas season…

15 Responses to Up Goes the Christmas Tree

1. Jeni December 3, 2012 at 9:49 pm #

How fun! It’s kind of strange to see people decorating a tree wearing summer attire… 🙂 Do you have any snow-related decorations at all, or just the tree? Just curious. 🙂

• Linda December 4, 2012 at 11:49 am #

Hi Jeni,

We have our tree and various other decorations, we also have a little advent display, marking the 4 Sundays leading up to Christmas and our Nativity Set xo

2. Janet R December 3, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

I’m also in a warm climate for Christmas – Argentina! But, being from the States, it’s strange not having cool weather! I visited South Africa several years ago, but I’ve forgotten about braai – would you tell us more about that, please?
    I love keeping up with you and your family, and your knitting!

• Linda December 4, 2012 at 11:56 am #

Hi Janet,
      I wish we could have a cold Christmas:) Our South African braai is like a barbeque, we had a lovely gratitude braai with friends on Sunday evening:)
      Thanks for visiting.

3. hawthorn December 3, 2012 at 10:45 pm #

Oh the delights of a summer chrimbly season – although the frosty cold one with snowy hills and twinkling lights looks so festive – it is also so very COLD!!
    Braai – love that word, my inlaws (RSA) often have snook-braais – happy memories 🙂
    Lovely tree x

• Linda December 4, 2012 at 11:58 am #

Thanks Hawthorn! A snook braai does sound wonderful!

4. Barbara December 3, 2012 at 11:25 pm #

How wonderful to see popcorn strings and paper chains on a Christmas tree. Because cranberries are not native to South Africa, I can understand why these strung berries remembered from long-ago Christmases of my childhood are missing.

Richard and I have not put up an indoor tree for several years now. His hobby is garden railroading – that is, he runs his half-inch scale trains through my garden, which is planted with dwarf and miniature plants.

He spends several weeks in November turning the railroad into a Christmas wonderland. My arthritis makes it impossible for me to help him with the decorations now. The railroad display is open to friends and neighbors. I serve hot chocolate and gluehwein (a hot, mulled wine) to invitees along with cookies and candy canes. If you search youtube for the word puddlefort the first hit is for a video of the railroad. It should give you some idea of how he spends his time. This is the only time there are ever any fake trees in the railroad. But if you look closely you might spy a dwarf boxwood lit up and a very dwarf maple near the snowman factory.

• Linda December 4, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

Hi Barbara,
      Thanks for stopping by my little blog:)
      I had a look on You Tube, how wonderful!!!
      Have a lovely Christmas:)

5. Africanaussie December 4, 2012 at 12:16 am #

Oh your tree is wonderful – we eventually bought a little artificial tree this year and i am anxious to put it up – but we don’t have many decorations so I have been busily crocheting snowflakes to fill int he gaps. I will have a giveaway on my blog tomorrow if you need some more decorations.

• Linda December 4, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

Thank you!! I will pop by your blog:)

6. niria December 4, 2012 at 12:24 am #

Beautifu tree, loving family! Best wishes for a magical season!

7. Marlene December 4, 2012 at 12:49 am #

Lovely tree. I have yet to get in the spirit so I can decorate

8. Paula December 4, 2012 at 2:44 am #

Being from Brazil and living now in the US, I miss Summer Xmas… lots of fruits, open windows and doors, tropical Xmas of my childhood! My children experienced their first Christmas in Brazil last year and they loved it – specially New Years that can be enjoyed at the beach! Lovely tree and family!

9. emma December 4, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

Glad to hear that Sandy is OK. sounds a bit strange, I wonder what happened?
    your tree looks lovely.

10. KC December 5, 2012 at 7:48 am #

Here in the desert of Arizona we also have some warm weather. It doesn’t feel very festive. But we’ve decorated none the less.