Pomegranates and Tie Dyeing

Aren’t they gorgeous! I love these Pomegranate flowers, I was outside yesterday morning feeding our noisy chickens, yes, our new Buff Orpingtons are very loud girls indeed and ‘kind of’ demand their food in the mornings. Our Rhode Island Reds are much quieter, I’m not quite sure why the others are so vocal, ever noticed this with your chickens?

Anyway, as I was saying, I spotted these wonderful blooms and ran inside to fetch my camera. They are Ornamental Pomegranate flowers, I wish they were the real fruiting ones but I have bought an actual Pomegranate tree, so hopefully it will bare fruit soon.

We had fun yesterday, Jen was keen to try out some tie dyeing, so we mixed up some purple dye, wet a few white shirts, wrapped elastic bands around the fabric with marbles inside and simmered them in the dye pot for a short while.

Let me just say, that we were all amazed with the results!! We couldn’t believe how beautifully the dye took to the fabric, leaving such lovely circles and shapes! Almost looking like amethyst crystals. I just want to dye more. This afternoon, we went and bought some white cotton t-shirts and tomorrow we are going to tie dye by hand painting the dye on in various colours. I will probably write about the process on Creative Friday tomorrow.

Jenna’s t-shirt.

I also spent a few hours in my kitchen this morning, cleaning out drawers and re-packing them, it’s amazing what can end up in these draws if you don’t clear them out regularly 🙂

Kye and I planted some green bean seeds in an egg carton last week, they have grown so well. He is completely and utterly amazed each day when he observes how much they have grown. It’s so sweet, he walks into the kitchen in the mornings, catches a glimpse of those beans, takes in a deep breath and says, “Mom! Look at my beans!”

We will plant them in the veggie garden tomorrow.

, ,

9 Responses to Pomegranates and Tie Dyeing

1. Jessica October 11, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

Those flowers are beautiful! I can’t quite tell if their orange or red, but either way they look wonderful. I bet they smell just as nice.

I remember tie-dying when I was younger. I still have some of those shirts. And I have some very fond memories of my grandmother’s kitchen with my cousin and plastic spread all over the table so that we didn’t stain the Formica. 🙂

2. K October 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

By the way – my poor little square is on its way. Finally.
    I have always wanted to try tie dying, but never have. That purple is gorgeous, and I love the crystal “flare.” What fun. The hand painting will be breathtaking, I’m sure. But I think I loved best the pose – the hands with thumbs pointing – so indicative of that personality.

G’s parents had pomegranate trees – but I never remember having seen the flowers. I wonder if the fruit ones do blossoms as dramatic as these?

And I am also always fascinated by the seedlings as they come up. In an egg carton – what a bang-up idea! Your children are deeply fortunate in their teachers –

• Linda October 11, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

Thanks so much Kristen, I will look out for it in the post, we are having a postal strike here, so it might take a little while.
      We have a non-ornamental pomegranate tree and the blossoms are nowhere near as beautiful as the ornamental one.
      xo

3. steph October 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

THose flowers are the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen!!!! I’ve never heard of ornamental pomegranates!!! I want one!!! (Do I have to move to south Africa to have one?????!!) Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

Now the tie-dye thing I’ve done—-way back in my hippie days in the 60’s!!! Still love the look!

4. Lisa Lord October 11, 2012 at 10:27 pm #

Gorgeous flowers! And love the shirts.

5. Jenni October 12, 2012 at 3:59 am #

Those are the most gorgeous flowers! I wonder if they grow here in FNQ? Will have to check that out. Tie Dying is fun too 🙂

6. Marlene aka Ouma Miaau October 12, 2012 at 11:22 am #

Those shirts are lovely! How I miss my daughter now! We used to do that often. Another way we tried once, was painting on your material using molten wax. Then plonk into the die pot, iron the bits out you don’t need and die again. You get the most amazing colours and patterns. Have you tried using coffee grinds for natural dying? Also onion skins? Beautiful colours! Enjoy!

7. Kirsty@BowerbirdBlue October 12, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

love your beans all popping up, think I may copy your egg carton idea, my little one would love this.

8. Jeannette October 12, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

Gorgeous flowers and photos! How wonderful to have those growing and blooming in your yard. The tie dyeing looked like a lot of fun and I’d love to do that with my 2 daughters 🙂