Saturday in the Garden

It has been a wonderful week filled with thunder storms and rain. Our garden is so green! Green is my favourite colour at the moment, it seems to be everywhere. I loved seeing the raindrops on these leaves, this is the area in our garden where the rabbits live. It has a little stream with a small bridge crossing over it, to the left of this space is a very old prune tree that’s covered with ripening prune fruit.

Our asparagus is finally pushing through the soil, it’s so delicious…

The raspberries have started flowering along the veggie garden fence, I am hoping for a bumper crop this season. My mom-in-law has the most amazing raspberry fruit each year, she said her secret was putting plenty of horse manure into the holes before she planted each plant. I am going to add manure around the plants and water it in well and just see what happens.

The peaches and nectarines are looking lovely. The plastic bags I tied onto the trees to keep the birds at bay have really worked, the birds have eaten some of the fruit but have avoided the spots where the bags have been blowing around, so we are sharing, some fruit for the birds and some for us:)

Plenty of ladybugs everywhere…

Our figs seem to fruit each year but I have never tasted a ripe fig, the fig wasps seem to sting them and send them into a state of rot. Any suggestions on how to care for figs, I would really love to taste a ripe fig from one of our trees. My mom has always told me about the huge fig tree that grew in her garden while she was growing up, how delicious the figs used to taste, especially when they had been chilled in the fridge. I would like to experience that too, any suggestions??

This season of spring is just beautiful…

Have a lovely weekend.

11 Responses to Saturday in the Garden

1. Patti Waldfogel October 13, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

Everything looks wonderful!!! Since we are entering the Fall season, temperatures are a little lower, rain is rolling in, and because we had such a hot summer this seems really chilly! But the colors are amazing!!! Enjoy your flowering fruits & veggies!!! They are beautiful!!! XO patti

2. Diana October 14, 2012 at 12:11 am #

You have a lovely garden.

3. chelsey October 14, 2012 at 12:38 am #

What a gorgeous garden! I hope to go from my one successful pumpkin this year to a green thumb like you eventually!

4. Rene' Sharp October 14, 2012 at 4:45 am #

Your garden is looking lovely my friend. I also love this time of the year. I am loving our garden too, and the veggie patch is looking wonderful. I love checking on the progress every day. Enjoy the rest of your weekend 🙂

5. Linda Pfeffer October 14, 2012 at 6:12 am #

Re the fig crop…..could you tie a small square of pantyhose-type fabric around each fig? It would stretch as they grow; let in sunlight; and provide a barrier for the wasps. I don’t know how tall your tree is, but maybe you could reach the ones on the bottom! :))

• Linda October 14, 2012 at 8:02 am #

Linda, this is such a wonderful idea, I am going to try it. I cannot wait to eat some ripe unstung figs. Our fig trees aren’t too tall, so it is possible to save quite a few.
      Take care

6. Kristy October 14, 2012 at 7:55 am #

We are trying what Linda suggested, with our peaches this year. Stretching the stockings over a branch, leaves, fruit and all and tying off carefully at the other end (so it’s not too tight). We had one year with no fruit fly, one year with and one year without. Since we have quite a few peaches on this year, I am wanting to see them all to maturity because sharing ONE delicious ripe peach with 6 people is insanely teasingly delicious lol

• Linda October 14, 2012 at 8:03 am #

Thanks Kristy,
      I think I will also put the stockings on the peaches too, quite a few got stung two years in a row and they looked so lovely but alas, inside they were rotten.
      Kind regards

7. K October 15, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

Hmmm. I want to know more about figs. Because they are so biblical, and they show up so often, I just realized that there’s a depth of symbol there that I am missing entirely, not knowing a thing about them. So I’ll read the comments. And I have to admit that I can’t eat asparagus. In fact, that’s the first time I’ve ever tried to spell it. I had a rather unfortunate experience with an asparagus in an airplane when I was very little. Something in my chemistry turns them very metal tasting and bitter. I feel guilty about this. As though I’m not trying hard enough. Even so, I love a beautiful garden, and think that it adds to the beauty of a person when they make one. But you have to stop adding beauty to an already so beautiful heart because I’m afraid you’re going to simply blow up one day =

8. steph October 15, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

really gorgeous. nothing better than asparagus from the garden…..I’ve got a LONG wait for ours!

9. Tracey October 16, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

Well Linda, you taught me something, I have never heard of a fig wasp until now and have since been researching to learn about these wasps. I am going to ask my husband, Mike, when he gets home if he knows away to keep them off your tree. I have a fig tree that is almost 20 years old and it is my favorite. I am crushed to hear you have never tasted a fresh fig and this must be fixed!