Yarn Along

Crichet Pickles

Crochet Pickles the Cat

Book

It’s been raining here for days… It’s actually quite enjoyable, a cozy feeling as we look towards Autumn arriving soon. Our garden is lush and we harvested all the Souties squash today, they really are so tasty.

All this rain has put me in the mood to finally sit down and learn to crochet. I have so many questions though. Can you crochet in a continuous spiral when crocheting in the round or do you always add a chain stitch at the beginning of each round? Little things like this are not always on the You Tube videos, although they have been incredibly useful while teaching myself how to crochet.

I’m attempting to convert Pickles the Cat into a crochet pattern and so far it’s going well, I just need to get my pattern writing correct and then I’ll be fine:)

A friend of mine has given me a book to read called, My Family and Other Animals. I’ve just started reading it, so far so good.

Joining in with Ginny today.

, ,

9 Responses to Yarn Along

1. Cath T March 5, 2014 at 10:09 pm #

Looking forward to a crochet pattern. I haven’t quite been able to motivate myself to learn knitting, but I feel comfortable crocheting.
    Durrell’s books are enjoyable, entertaining. Masterpiece Theatre did this book, which was quite enjoyable, if not a little painful. The siblings were as siblings are, not always kind to each other.

2. vicky sharp March 5, 2014 at 10:51 pm #

I do not always add a stitch at the beginning of each row. You can go around continuously. Just make sure you place a marker to know when you increase.

3. Tracey March 6, 2014 at 2:55 am #

Ha, rain here too, although I am ready for it to be out of here so I can get back to getting my garden ready.
    I left a comment on a blog earlier today saying that I wanted to learn to crochet and then I see you are learning. Great minds think alike!

4. Dianapri March 6, 2014 at 4:01 am #

You can do it either way. If you start anew in every round its easier to visualize with a marker and if it is single crochet start each round with a chain and then do the single crochet. If you do it in a spiral when you finish there is like a small step that can be smoothed out with a slip stitch. I hope this helps.

5. Stel March 6, 2014 at 10:35 am #

You can crochet in a spiral :-) Come over to “Ons Hekel” on Facebook – there’s a whole lot of extremely talented ladies who can answer all kinds of questions.
    (I have, on my piano, the friends of your two wooden men…a doctor and someone important looking :-)

6. Ruth March 6, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

We love Durrell’s books in this house. In fact our daughter was named for a character in one of them. Enjoy!

7. Ariella March 6, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

We have no rain this winter in Israel. It seen to be a drought year.
    About crochet- when you want to use more then one color it t is better to close to a circle every round.so there will not be any sharp jump between the colors

8. Lynda M O March 6, 2014 at 6:49 pm #

Ariella said it well above; when using only a single color or a variegated yarn continuous circle crocheting is fine but with color changes it is prettier not to have that “jump” in some pieces-others don’t matter. When I do cup holders and soft balls I just go round and round without worrying about where I am or if the stripes have a jog in them.

9. Andrea March 7, 2014 at 6:02 pm #

I love crochet Pickels! For some reason I am much more likely to crochet softies that to knit them.