Sewing the Recovery Blanket and Knitting

Today I am ready to start sewing the Recovery Blanket together. My father passed away at the end of August, it was such a tragic loss…. We began a wonderful project a few weeks earlier, a healing project, where we decided to knit a blanket. This blanket was originally started for my dad as a comfort to him on his road to recovery after a stroke. Sadly, he is no longer here with us and it has left a huge vacuum in our lives. This project was continued for my dear mom, it will be hers to wrap herself in a warm hug and remember all the wonderful years she shared with my father.

Today, I took out all these beautiful rectangles that have been knitted by my family and so many wonderful and caring people from all over the world. Some of these people, I have never even met before, they saw the pattern on Ravelry, read the notes  and wanted to send a rectangle to show their love and support. I am so grateful to all of you. As I sew this special treasure, I am humbled that so many sent in these beautiful pieces of knitting and felting. Thank you.

I have also been working on patterns for the animals for my Christmas Nativity Set. I have added the changes for yarns and needles sizes so that the animals will be the same scale as the Holy Family, you can see more about this here on my Ravelry group. I wrote new patterns for the sheep and goat so that they will be to scale as well. Their patterns are on Ravelry and are called Nativity Sheep and Nativity Goat Patterns.

I am off to prepare for our St Nicholas celebrations tomorrow:)

11 Responses to Sewing the Recovery Blanket and Knitting

1. emma December 5, 2012 at 6:31 pm #

My goodness Linda, what a lot of squares!! Are your children helping you with the sewing? I can’t imagine doing it all alone. Would love to see a picture of your mother with the finished blanket.
    Love the little ram, especially his little goatie!
    I’m currently making a giraffe from one of your patterns, I’m planning on finishing all it’s spots tonight!
    Enjoy your St Nicholas celebrations tomorrow.

2. heathermama December 5, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

((hug)) i am so sorry for your loss.
    that billy goat is so cute.

3. Tricia- Crunchy Catholic Momma December 5, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

Linda, So so sorry for the loss of your Dad… the blanket project restores faith in humanity I think. That is amazing that so many people have collaborated in it. I hope it gives your mom and you some consolation.

4. Tracey December 5, 2012 at 9:14 pm #

I hope the blanket offers your mom at least a little peace and comfort Linda. A loss is never easy, but when it’s a spouse I think it’s extra hard. Much love you.

5. Jeanette December 5, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

Wow, the blanket looks wonderful Linda. I am sure your mother will find this of comfort as it has been made with such love. It is very good to hear about all the people who contributed with their squares and shows that there is a caring community amongst crafting folk. I wish you and your family a peaceful, joy-filled festive season. (I am yet to join in with the Xmas KAL…..but the new additions to the nativity scene look splendid).

6. susie siegel December 5, 2012 at 11:03 pm #

What a delight to read the inspiration for your healing comfort blanked for your mom….i am doing something simular for a young woman who lost her dad too soon….her mom sent me two of his favorite shirts and i cut them in strips and with natural flannels making 10 in squares sewing the fabric on in differnt size strips diagional from the middle out pressing and sewing all squares together. Lap quilt…backed with flannel. Hand tied with matching emb thread. Boutght 8 fun large buttons with love peace smile lvuon them to add for fun….made with love is the secret ingredient….wrap Michell up in her fathers love….she is recovering from a surgery. will knitt a warm scarf to add along. Thanks for your continued inspiration and love…Susan

7. Barbara Szatkiewicz December 6, 2012 at 1:16 am #

OMG the goat and lamb are adorable! The blanket is amazing too. What a beautiful tribute. Have a blessed Christmas.

8. Ginny December 6, 2012 at 2:11 am #

Lovely seeing all those pretty squares. I am looking forward to seeing the finished blanket, which I am sure will be a comfort to your mother. I hope the process of making it together as a family is a good way to remember your father.

9. Lorraine December 6, 2012 at 5:02 am #

Loss at anytime is tough but we feel it more at the holidays when traditions are interrupted and there is one missing at the table or opening gifts. My heart and prayers are with you. He is with you and watching to make sure you continue your routines. The blanket will be lovely.. Lorraine

10. Donna December 6, 2012 at 5:34 am #

Oh. It is going to be a very large blanket, isn’t it? How much love it will represent for all the years to come…what a wonderful tribute!
    Donna

11. Ariella Fellner December 6, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

Hi Linda!
    Sorry for your loss.I’m sure that you will not forget him.
    I volunteer working with goats and it completly different from sheeps. It’s bigger and has differnt shape of ther face.I miss the curly hair of the sheep.
    Ariella