Digging up Gold

Can you believe how big Kye’s beans have grown? These are the beans we grew in the egg boxes:)

What an amazing day of harvesting we have had! I have dirt under my nails from digging up potatoes and I love it! This morning I walked out into our veg patch and wondered about wheather our potatoes would be ready to be pulled up. Erin joined me and she pulled out the first plant, wow! It was laden with beautiful potatoes! Our pot potatoes are still young and growing but these were planted a few months ago. These ones are out of our raised beds and it’s the first time we have had such a good crop.

We all got stuck in and dug up the plants, Erin washed and put the potatoes out to dry. We also pulled up  onions and leeks that were ready and we even got a few garlic bulbs too. We are going to compost the beds tomorrow and plan what we will plant in them next.

I would really love to find out if there are any South African’s who would like to swap seeds or seed potato varieties, we only seem to have a few seed potato varieties available here and I would love to hear from you if you would like to swap locally. Alas, we can’t swap with anyone from overseas because of our customs control but if anyone local has different or rare varieties of seeds and potatoes that they would like to swap, please let me know:)

11 Responses to Digging up Gold

1. Heather December 13, 2012 at 3:53 am #

What a bountiful harvest!

2. karen December 13, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

so much yumminess coming out of your garden! Your garden is a little way ahead of mine but its inspiring me and making me excited for whats soon to come. I have flowers on my bean plants and potatoes wont be too far away either

3. Pam Tocornal December 13, 2012 at 9:39 pm #

I am having a real treat from my Fall plantings in my garden. It is less than 2 weeks before Christmas here on the East coast of U.S. and we have had a few freezes. I cut leaf lettuce and baby spinach yesterday. Also noticed we have a couple small broccoli. Now that is a treat this time of the year! Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2013!

• Linda December 14, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

Thanks Pam and to you too:)

4. Marny CA December 13, 2012 at 11:23 pm #

I didn’t know that freshly dug potatoes have to dry out. Can they not be eaten right from the ground?

Everything looks deeeeeelicious.

• Linda December 14, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

Hi Marny, Erin washed the potatoes and she just put them on the grass for the water to dry off of them:)
      Thanks so much for your email too:)
      x

5. LaVelle Nott December 13, 2012 at 11:54 pm #

It does not seem that long ago that you were planting and then being hit by hail. I can not believe how quickly you have produce. I am in Oregon and winter is just starting here, not even official for a week or so. How much longer will your garden produce? will you have more crops of potatoes?

• Linda December 14, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

Hi,
      The hail was about a month ago, but our garden is back in full bloom. Out potato plants were under a mesh net in our veggie garden so they were safe from the hail. We will probably get another crop of potatoes this season and it will only start cooling down by April next year, we have a really long growing season:)

6. Kelly December 14, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

We recently harvested our potatoes too, aren’t they just marvellous the way they take care of themselves and give you such a pleasant surprise when dug up 🙂

7. Nicole December 16, 2012 at 7:00 am #

I am also just starting winter, here in Minnesota. It is very refreshing to see your garden pictures. Thank you for sharing!

8. Jenni December 21, 2012 at 6:16 am #

What a lovely garden Linda! Great produce and how nice those potatoes look. Our garden is on hold for the wet season but I do have a few herbs going to keep the boys happy.
    We are rushing headlong into Christmas and the silly season, I am fully booked up with boarding dogs and it still hasn’t started raining so everyone is getting very cross and cranky (animals too).
    I am looking forward to being able to sit down for a bit and having a rest in the rest of the school holidays in the New Year. I hope you have a lovely Christmas and thank you so much for our card. hugs Jen xx