Fair Isle Knitting, Yarn Along

Well, I finally decided to give Fair Isle knitting a try. I bought this kit a while ago from Sweden and just never started knitting with it. I have always thought of Fair Isle knitting as really daunting and beautiful. The other day, I went searching for the kit in my cupboard and I started knitting.  It was not half as scary as I thought it would be and I REALLY LOVE it!!! The colours blend together like magic, as if they have been painted by Seurat… I have been knitting on this project as often as I can, sitting and knitting, walking and knitting, it even came with me to tea this morning, so you see, I really can’t put it down for long…
I am knitting this hat for Richard for winter, I bought the kit from Solsilke too beautiful! It is called The Blue Light Hat and scarf pattern and is under the link ‘Bohus Stickning’ on their website. If you want to request a price list or place an order, you can click on their ‘contact’ link and send them an email. I will definitely be knitting more, I love the design called Wild Apple too. The yarn that comes with the kit is so exceptionally soft, it’s angora and Merino. I knitted the rib and couldn’t wait for the colour work to start.

I am reading through this amazing book, The Knitter’s Life List, this book is probably what prompted me to try something different with my knitting and learn a new skill. I am so happy I did:)

I am joining in with Ginny’s Yarn Along today.

53 Responses to Fair Isle Knitting, Yarn Along

1. Tracey February 8, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

I love your fair isle knitting! I really want to learn how and just need to jump in and go for it! It’s the book great? I am learning so much from reading it.

• Linda February 8, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

Hi Tracey,
      Thank you so much! It is really easy, I almost can’t believe it and to think I procrastinated all this time. The book is lovely, I am so glad I saw it on your blog:)
      Take care

2. Rene' Sharp February 8, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

This is turning out gorgeously my friend!!! I also want to try Fair Isle some time too, good on you for giving it a bash! 🙂

• Linda February 8, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

Thanks my friend!

3. Maria February 8, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

I’m inspired!!! That book is going on my Amazon wishlist! Great job with the fair isle… I think that’s going to be my new skill for 2013….lol still working on making things that would look okay if worn in public. lol

4. angelina February 8, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

lovely linda! i cant wait to see more of it….
    i’ll be back to share with you my finished cowl on friday.
    x

• Linda February 8, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

Thank you Angelina! I am looking forward to seeing your cowl.

5. charlotte February 8, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

I bet your new try at knitting will be as fab as everything else you make!! That book looks pretty cool.

• Linda February 8, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

Thank you Charlotte, the book is amazing!
      Take care

6. Swanski February 8, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

the fair isle is BEE YOU TEE FULL!!!! Love the colors 🙂

• Linda February 8, 2012 at 5:21 pm #

You are so kind, thank you:)

7. Marias garnhändelser February 8, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

Which one of the bohus kits are you making? I just started the Wild apple…it looks so nice

• Linda February 8, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

This one is called The Blue Light Hat. I love the Wild Apple design and want to make it next.

8. www.theevolvinghomemaker.com February 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

oh my gosh, that looks great! kuddos to you for trying something new, especially when you are feeling intimidated!

🙂
    jen

• Linda February 8, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

9. Very Verdant February 8, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

Isn’t it great to challenge yourself? Great motivation!
    Do show off your projects. I would love to see what you make.

10. Proud Mama February 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

More colorwork is on my 2012 knitting list. I want to try my hand at intarsia this year. It scares me a bit.

11. Angela February 8, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

Tracey has been reading that book too! Time to put it on my list. Congrats on the Fair Isle knitting. It is gorgeous! I think you just inspired me. Knitting and walking? Wow!
    Btw, we love your cooked playdough recipe-just lurve it. It’s my favorite and the kids love it. Thanks for sharing!
    xo,
    Ang

12. Natalie February 8, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

Your hat looks fantastic! I guess it is the week for trying new things. Fair Isle is up next on my list after I master the cables.

13. Jen February 8, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

I’ve heard very good things about that book.

Can’t wait to see the finished hat.

14. Ellen February 8, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

You’re right – it does have an impressionist feel to it. Really lovely!

15. pinkundine February 8, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

It’s looking amazing 🙂 I tried fair isle out recently (although with only 2 colours) and was amazed at how it wasn’t nearly as hard as it looks!

16. Rebecca February 8, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

Oh my, how I envy that you can order from Solsielke. The Wild Apple yoke sweater has been on my list forever but it is so very expensive. Some day! I love knitting fair isle. It makes me feel like I’m painting. I’m happy you jumped in and discovered it is not quite as scary as you thought! The book looks very interesting!

17. Lori ann February 8, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

oh so pretty, beautiful fair isle. i can see how soft and lovely that wool is even through the computer. good for you linda, i think it is the same with most all knitting, once we try it.
    i love that book and have been picking it up almost every day since it first came out, it’s a fantastic resourse!

• Linda February 9, 2012 at 7:36 am #

Dear Lori,
      Thank you for visiting, I am enjoying this book so much too.
      xo

18. Natalie February 8, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

Wow, that is some gorgeous knitting you have there Linda.

Thanks for sharing

xox

• Linda February 8, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

Thanks Nat:)

19. Andria February 8, 2012 at 8:09 pm #

Gorgeous, I love the colours and the yarn looks so beautiful in your photo.

20. Plain and Joyful Living February 8, 2012 at 9:14 pm #

Hi Linda,
    This is a skill I would like to learn as well. Yours is coming along beautifully.
    Warmly, Tonya

21. Jeannine February 8, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

this looks like a happy dream…beautifully done! And the book looks charming and wonderful…

22. Keri February 8, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

Wow!!! Bohus for your first attempt at Fair Isle? Nothing like jumping in head first to learn a new technique! Good luck. What’s the name of the kit/colourway?

23. Mia Foley February 8, 2012 at 10:56 pm #

That is just so beautiful Linda : ) and the yarn looks heavenly. Well done girl, can’t wait to see it grow! I’m really curious about that book…

24. Kim Corrigan-Oliver February 8, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

Wow, that is beautiful!!! Love the colours, can’t wait to see if finished.

25. JenMun(a) February 8, 2012 at 11:41 pm #

Wow this is beautiful! I think it would be just too complicated for me!!so curious to see completed work!
    warmly
    JenMuna

26. Erin @ Wild Whispers February 9, 2012 at 12:29 am #

Beautiful! I madly want to knit bohus someday! Love the colors!

27. (lia) February 9, 2012 at 12:36 am #

I love the colors you’ve chosen. They look so natural together! Fair Isle is so much fun. I was scared to death to try it but realized it’s not so hard once you dive in. And it makes for very fun knitting!

28. The Yellow Door Paperie February 9, 2012 at 1:28 am #

Wow! You are doing an amazing job. And the color choices are just breath taking. I’m a little apprehensive to try something like that, but I just might now!

• Linda February 9, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

Oh you must give it a try, you will love it:)

29. Minding My Own Stitches February 9, 2012 at 5:50 am #

Gorgeous, gorgeous colours! Love that hat. Now please do link to the kit. We all want one !

• Linda February 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

Hi,
      To place an order or to look at these gorgeous hats just click on the Solsilke link in my post and click on Bohus Stickning. You can click on contact to request pricing:)

30. Annette February 9, 2012 at 6:58 am #

Linda, could you repost the directions for the Valentine book mark? It’s not coming out when I click on it. Nor can I find it in your old posts. And I’d love to make some for Valentine’s Day gifts. Thanks in advance! annettetracy@roadrunner.com

• Linda February 9, 2012 at 7:13 am #

Hi Annette,
      I have changed the link in the sidebar photo, you can click on the Valentine Bookmark Pattern and it will take you to the pattern now.
      Happy knitting:)

31. K February 9, 2012 at 9:22 am #

Well, now you’ve got threaded comments! What fun. I wish mine were in a smaller font size like yours are. Mine are so huge. I started by knitting a vest that I sort of made up myself – decades ago it was, and I was copying a 1940s vest. So I never actually learned how it should be done, and because discouraged because the piece became so heavy with the carrying over. And you have to be so careful with the tension. I’ve never actually done faire isle, though I’ve bought patterns and books. But I don’t think I have the gift the way you do, or the discipline. Your work is lovely. But that is no surprise.

• Linda February 9, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

I know, threaded comments are wonderful! I love that I can respond to everyone:)
      Thank you so much for visiting.
      xo xo

32. Baa-Me Kniits February 9, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

Oh Linda that hat is stunning! What fun Fair Isle is isn’t it. I won the lovely patterns from Kate Davies that Little Cotton Rabbits has just knitted. Lots of colour changes in that though so I don’t think I will be knitting it up in a hurry. It is so hot here that I will have to make something like that for a gift and after all that work….who to give it to that will recognise the work and time it took to make?? Going to have to go and check out that book which looks awesome and the patterns 🙂 You know its good when you have to carry it around with you!

33. Baa-Me Kniits February 9, 2012 at 2:32 pm #

My comment sees to have vanished into the ether? Anyway just wanted to say stunning hat and Fair Aisle is so much fun and looks so great when its finished. I’m going to check out those links above and see what other lovely hats they have 🙂

34. Christine February 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

I have the Wild Apple hat kit which I’m mentally preparing myself for – I’m doing some ‘practice’ fair isle mittens – only 1 pair to go before I can start my at, though I do need to swatch so I can buy the correct needle. Can’t wait to see how your hat progresses, I adore Bohus designs. I was lucky enough to take a class with Susanna Hansson, and it confirmed to me just how talented those ladies were

35. Nicole G February 10, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

Adorable work!!! Love it!

36. Melissa Plank February 10, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

Pretty colors, that’s gonna be gorgeous!

37. WonderWhyGal February 11, 2012 at 1:28 am #

I love the colors…good for you trying colorwork.

38. storiedyarns February 11, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

Looks great!! I can’t wait to see the FO!

39. Jess Schleicher February 11, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

It really is beautiful. I love when you have a project that is hard to just put down.

40. AllyB February 13, 2012 at 1:23 am #

Those colors are stunning! I too enjoy colorwork but don’t spend enough time doing it. Seems there are a few large projects I’ve set my mind to finishing this year. Maybe when these are done I’ll pick up a colorwork project again. Thank you for the inspiration.