Rubber Band Bouncy Balls Anyone?

Ever wondered what to do with all those rubber bands instead of throwing them in the bin? Make rubber band bouncy balls of course! Every day when the newspaper arrives, it has a rubber band around it, we have saved all the bands and Jen, Erin and Cady have made the most amazing bouncy balls with them. We visited my mom today, Caiden asked her if she had any rubber bands, oh what thrill and excitement ensued when she brought out two big bags of bands, saying, “You know how I can’t throw anything away”…. (My mom also saves her newspaper rubber bands….. what luck).
So if you feel the need to do some recycling of the rubber band kind, to make the bounciest, rubber band ball ever, this is what you do. Take a band and tie a few knots in it, roll it up, then just start wrapping single bands around and around in figure eight movements, (this can be a little tricky in the beginning, but don’t give up, it’s REALLY fun once you get going:) AND when you are finished, you have reused something and have an amazing rubber ball:)

14 Responses to Rubber Band Bouncy Balls Anyone?

1. pinkundine July 19, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

Very cool 🙂 I used to make these as a child. Can’t believe you can actually buy ready made ones now though! Not nearly the same

2. Donna July 19, 2011 at 6:41 pm #

I wondered how you got one started. Love the fingernail polish!

3. Ren- Lady Of The Arts July 19, 2011 at 7:29 pm #

this would be fun thing to do – we have a jar that we put bouncy balls in- I was so sick of throwing out all the silly little goody bag balls my monkeys would get.

4. Ann July 19, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

Great idea to recycle rubber bands and love all the colours.
    Will make a start

5. MARİFETANE July 20, 2011 at 12:14 am #

Hello my friend, colorful tires were pretty much like a toy congratulations.

6. Anonymous July 20, 2011 at 12:56 am #

LOL Just what I need … to save rubber bands to go with all the corks I collected and saved and have done nothing with — with all the best intentions, of course.

You are so special! Thank you for sharing so much of yourself.

I enjoy your site.

7. no spring chicken July 20, 2011 at 8:09 am #

Wonderfully practical craft!!

Blessings, Debbie

8. Shannon July 20, 2011 at 11:37 am #

Sometimes I think you must poke around in my head while I am dreaming…I think about posting all sorts of things and them within the week there it is in full colour on your blog!
    We have a rubber band ball, which sometimes get bounced but it is really mine and i just like to look at it and add bands to it and watch it grow. x

9. STCP July 20, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

Here they don’t use rubberbands for newspapers. The postman uses them though, but that doesn’t mean you get one in your mailbox. As a child we waited for the mailman to arrive and ask him if he could gift us some. What a joy we had.

10. luxiii July 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm #

You brought me back to some good memories with this post. During my early years as a park ranger, I spent a lot of time at the visitor center. In between reading and helping visitors many a rubber band ball was made during the slow seasons.

11. Hinterland Mama July 21, 2011 at 8:04 am #

I like the idea of making these through-out this year to add to a party gift bag for friends when we celebrate with our bi-annual birthday party next year! (inspired by Ren-Lady of the arts Comment) Thanks Linda, for the quick tute Aleta ღ

12. CC July 22, 2011 at 10:38 pm #

I’m envious of your colourful rubber bands. Ours always seem to be brown, or occasionally purple or red. We recently turned a big, messy pile of rubber bands into two tidy balls. Unfortunately, the balls keep going missing so we can never find a rubber band when we actually need one…

13. julie July 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm #

When I was a kid, I made the hugest, most giantly awesome rubber band ball in the universe. I swear, you would throw it down and it would bounce WAAY up higher than your head. I mostly use my own rubber bands for tie-dye now…what I need is to visit some elderly relative who can’t throw anything away!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 20 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Those School Supplies This Summer - DIY & Crafts - November 16, 2018

[…] Source/Tutorial: naturalsuburbia […]