Slug Knitting Pattern

Hello there wonderful friends!
Because we have a veggie garden AND because slugs LOVE our lettuce patch,  I felt I just had to knit up a sweet little slimy slug with needle felted eyes that pop up out at you when you least expect it…

I cannot tell you how many times I have picked a lettuce and right inside the innermost folds of lettuce leaves, where you would least expect to find any living thing, will be a complete family of slugs with an extended family to boot… so they are like part of the family here…
This is really the easiest little pattern in the world, promise:) and will be great to add to your Easter baskets for Easter morning too:)

Materials:

DK yarn in sluggy colours
2 double pointed needles
Wool sewing up needle
Fleece for stuffing
Fleece for the eyes, black and white
Felting needle and sponge

With double pointed needles cast on 7 stitches, knit an I-cord for 3 inches and cast off. Stuff your slug with fleece and finish off the ends.

Knit about 5 rows for the length of the eye stalks and then cast off.

Here is your slug, now to add the eyes. Needle felt the white fleece onto the top of the eye stalks first and then needle felt a tiny black dot into the middle of the white. And there you have your slimy, slithery slug!
Happy day to all:)

15 Responses to Slug Knitting Pattern

1. Forest-Dweller March 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

What a great way to become friends with one of the greatest garden pest. I LOVE IT!

2. Elizabeth March 6, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

This is just too cute! Love it. I even have the perfect slug yarn. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings, Elizabeth

3. TwigandToadstool March 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm #

hahahahahaha!!!! Too cute!!!!
    I have to say…I much prefer knitted slugs to real ones!
    xo maureen

4. Linda March 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm #

Thanks so much everyone!! Enjoy knitting him:)
    xo

5. Kathleen March 6, 2011 at 11:06 pm #

What can I say? I’ve always found slugs in the garden disgusting, but your little fellow just might change my mind. It’s all part of nature, right? I’m sure they have their place in the scheme of things.

6. Hawthorn March 7, 2011 at 12:08 am #

Urgh! I have enough of the real ones here in my garden, don’t want any more despite the rather cute look of yours!

7. Julze March 7, 2011 at 4:45 am #

What a CUTE slug..hehe!

8. Carrie March 7, 2011 at 4:52 am #

The slugs are arriving at our home! My girls would be delighted to find a knitting slug or three. And I also have a lot of slug yarn. 🙂

Thanks!
    ~carrie~

9. K March 7, 2011 at 5:13 am #

I am so behind again. I’ve been doing my photo books – workin’ hard. And we had to prepare for spring at the barn. So much to do. But I always come back. And here I find this slug. I wonder if you made him in a shiny orlon if he’d really, really look slimy? You’ve made me laugh, and I’ve needed that a bit, my friend.

10. Linda March 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm #

Dear Kristen,
    I am so glad you stopped by and that this little slug made you laugh:) Wishing you love and light dear friend:)
    xo

11. Shannon March 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

who woulda thought a slug could be cute?

12. Heather March 11, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

Oh my, I think that might possibly be the Cutest thing I’ve ever seen. Must make one (or two, or three or…). Thank you for sharing your how-to.

13. Merry Bee January 18, 2012 at 2:44 am #

You are so sweet to share your wonderful and whimsical creations with all of us. I am such a novice knitter with sooo much to learn, however, with generous and artsy people like you, you inspire me to keep at it! I hope to perfect the i-cord, going to try it tonight! Thanks again, your knitting is so fun and lovely! 🙂

14. patchouli moon studio March 14, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

I lived in Washington state for 17 years before moving to New Mexico and there were slugs everywhere in WA so I am very familiar with these slimey creatures. I may have to knit one for my sister who lives in WA. Thanks for sharing your talents.

15. Anonymous April 16, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

i love this site and am deciding what to knit, i’ve only just taken up knitting again after a break of about 15 years but pls could you explain how to make an i-cord? thank you