Halloween Lino Prints

I saw a lovely blog post over at Farmama this morning, where they have made beautiful prints. My girls were keen to give this a try, so we went searching for materials around our home. We had some polystyrene in a  box that our dehydrator was delivered in and we thought we would recycle it to make our prints. It worked really well too:)

Materials we used:
Polystyrene
Carving tools
Ink or paint
Ink roller to roll your ink / paint
Card
Craft knife to cut your polystyrene
Pencil

First we drew our picture onto our polystyrene in pencil.

Then we took our carving tools and carved out our picture along the lines.

Roll your roller in your ink making sure it is covered completely.

Roll your ink all over your carving.

Press your polystyrene onto the card firmly. And there is your print!

These are some other prints Jenna and Erin did today.

Perfect for birthday cards etc…
Happy Monday!
xo

17 Responses to Halloween Lino Prints

1. Joy October 25, 2010 at 2:53 pm #

Those are so cute! Now I know what to do with that stuff when it comes in packages. Lovely!

2. Sarah October 25, 2010 at 3:33 pm #

Fun. I have never tried lino printing. Happily, Helen will be doing it in art this year. I look forward to giving it a try.

3. Amy October 25, 2010 at 4:07 pm #

Very cute. Great way to use the blocks of stuff that comes in stuff. LOL

Have a wonderful week.

4. Wabi-Sabi Wanderings October 25, 2010 at 7:06 pm #

Great idea. I never thought of using polystyrene/stryofoam. Lots of that kicking around. Yay!

5. Dawn October 25, 2010 at 7:22 pm #

What a great use of those materials! I love how the prints look…very cute!

6. Dawn October 25, 2010 at 7:39 pm #

I would have never thought to use that polyestrene. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

7. K October 25, 2010 at 9:33 pm #

We did this, too. Started with potatoes. Does anybody do that anymore? It’s fun – potatoes carve easily, and we’d leave the shapes as the stamp, carving away the negative space. Then we used sponges. And we used high density foam, mounting the shapes on wood so we could use them over and over. I like the texture of these lino prints, the way the paint doesn’t take to all the areas with quite the same density – they have than nice medieval feel. I can see lovely Christmas cards made this way. In fact, maybe I’ll try one myself.

8. Bec October 25, 2010 at 11:01 pm #

what a great easy activity!

9. Valarie October 26, 2010 at 3:01 am #

These are great and look so easy to do. I’ve been wanting to try this for awhile myself. I think I’ll head on over to Farmama and see what shes come up with. Hope all is well. Take care Linda.

10. Mrs A October 26, 2010 at 4:33 am #

what a wonderful activity, they make beautiful cards, i will try to get the kidadults to help!

11. goldenbird October 26, 2010 at 5:24 am #

Those prints are so cute! Thanks for sharing how to do it step-by-step, I would like to try that.

12. ParkerMama October 26, 2010 at 3:26 pm #

I thought you may like to know that Parker and I are giving away a set of playsilks from Nova Natural Toy and Crafts!

Tammy and Parker

13. julie October 26, 2010 at 9:19 pm #

Fun! This is one of those projects that I have been meaning to do for just about forever. We don’t have any styrofoam around the house right now, but I’m pretty sure that all it’ll take is one trip to my parents’ house for Christmas…

14. .::Our Waldorf Home Mama::. October 27, 2010 at 3:20 am #

Aw so cute!!! And so easy too! I have materials that farm-mama has, it’s nice to see the same beautiful prints made with foam that i can find around the house!

~Samantha

15. earthycrunchy October 27, 2010 at 5:08 am #

Fun! They turned out very well!

16. Amanda October 29, 2010 at 6:40 pm #

A super awesome idea for what to do with all that packing foam! I’ll be on the look out for some now!

17. Rachel November 23, 2010 at 7:16 am #

LOL! So glad you did a photo tutorial. I had no idea what poly what ever it’s called was! Until I saw the photo. Awwww. So that’s what Linda is talking about!