Geysers ?

Early this morning, I walked through our home into my wool room. I was looking for a roving and as I stood looking into my wool cupboard I heard the sound of running water… I walked into the next room to the bathroom and couldn’t believe my eyes… Our geyser had burst… The ceiling was on the floor of the bathroom and water  and ceiling insulation was everywhere… It has been a busy day so far, the up side of this disaster is that we are going to replace our old geyesr with a solar powered one, so we are now smiling:) We just have to decide which one to purchase, any ideas? I think we will go with solar tubes as quite a few solar panels cracked during this cold winter we just had in South Africa. We also need to decide weather to have the geyser on the roof with the panels or to feed the water into a geyser inside the roof… So much to think about. If anyone out there has solar please could you leave some words of wisdom for us we would greatly appreciate it.

(Some readers have asked what a geyser is. We call them geysers here in South Africa, I think overseas they are called hot water heaters?)

17 Responses to Geysers ?

1. Joy October 14, 2010 at 2:49 pm #

We had something similar happen in our kitchen a few years ago when one of the kids left the upstairs bathroom faucet on with the sink plugged. I’m glad this will enable you to go solar but sorry you’re having to deal with this!

2. Linda October 14, 2010 at 3:00 pm #

Dear Joy,
    Thank you so much for your comment my friend:)
    xo

3. Tammy October 14, 2010 at 3:05 pm #

I’m so amazed and inspired with your positive attitude! I think I would have sat on the floor and cried.

4. Carrie October 14, 2010 at 3:45 pm #

I’m sorry you’re having to deal with this but YAY! for making ecological improvements. I had to search for what a “geyser” was – learn something new every day. 🙂

~carrie~

5. momma rae October 14, 2010 at 4:28 pm #

hmmm, seems dreadful, really, and i have no advice. am i just still smiling at the thought of a *wool room*. how lovely! 🙂

6. Dana Biddle October 14, 2010 at 5:42 pm #

OH my Friend, what can I say:) must be time for a change of geyser! My broken electric meter has got me thinking about changing my studio geyser too. I was advised to keep the insulated geyser inside the roof as solar only heats the water during the day. Keep smiling, lucky it was over the bathroom and not your wool room!

7. Val October 14, 2010 at 6:40 pm #

Ouch…geysers made me think of that scene in Enchanted April where the boiler blows up…

Good for you for looking at the positive :0)

8. Vikki October 14, 2010 at 6:53 pm #

Hopefully insurance will cover most of the costs and be quick in fixing everything up, Im also glad it wasnt over your wool! be strong!

9. softearthart October 14, 2010 at 8:40 pm #

Thoughts from abroad, cheers Marie

10. Shannon October 15, 2010 at 2:27 am #

Wow..you have a wool room? Sorry …you also have a very large hole in your roof and I don’t even know what a gyeser is! And I can’t help you because we don’t have solar power either; i am still tring to work out how to get gas.
    Tammy is right, you glass is always at least half full, if not brimming 🙂

11. Gramerly October 15, 2010 at 4:10 am #

Hello, from southern Indiana.
    I came to your post following the acorn post.
    That acorn, pumpkin and bluebird are simply adorable. I teach fourth grade and teach my kids to knit, though scarves are as far as I go. I need some further lessons.
    Umm, I didn’t know there were geysers in homes. Would that be a hot water heater?
    The little birds were lucky to find you.

12. Rene' Sharp October 15, 2010 at 4:18 am #

Oh Bugger! Looks like a mission. But of course you are dealing with it in a way only you can 🙂

13. Dawn October 15, 2010 at 6:54 am #

Yikes! I’m so sorry that this happened. I hope that the repairs aren’t too difficult or expensive.

14. Baa-Me Kniits October 15, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

I am going to have to look up what a geyser is but the words ‘wool room’ jumped out at me….sounds luxurious!! 😉

15. K October 18, 2010 at 1:01 am #

Yes. For a moment I was physically disoriented – for us, a geyser starts deep in the ground and shoots water UP. There are new solar tools – I’ve read about a thin fabric you can now get – inexpensive and can cover the roof – to gather solar power. But for water, I don’t know. What an inconvenient and weird thing to have happened. But it is balanced by your wool room. WOOL ROOM? I have a friend with a cake room. And people with music rooms or quilting rooms or offices. But the luxury of a wool room? And I thought I was doing well claiming the old den simply for a general project room. What’s more, knowing you, the room must be beautiful.

16. nocton4 October 23, 2010 at 7:02 pm #

bless your heart x

17. Rachel November 23, 2010 at 7:22 am #

Oh noooooo! Good luck in choosing. Be sure and post what you decide as I am very interested in solar…