Re-use, Recycle a Tree

I have been working on my blog yesterday and today and I am so excited to have discovered how to add a 3rd column! Now all my tutorials are on the right hand side for everyone to enjoy:) Early last week we discovered our beautiful Cypress tree was leaning quite dramatically towards our house. We had so much rain  at the end of our Summer and early Autumn and this poor tree just couldn’t withstand the moisture in the ground. It started to lean more and more and eventually its roots were lifing out of the ground. We new we had to have it taken out, as it would definately fall on our home(I hate cutting down trees) but in this case we had no choice, we couldn’t support it in any way, so it had to be taken down… We did however find a way to reuse and recycle our tree:)

There was great excitement on the day when the tree felling company came. All our children stood at a safe distance and watched for any little birds that might be nesting in the tree, luckily there were none:)
This lovely tree will not go to waste though, we had a few ideas for it:) All the small branches were put into piles and will be dried out and reused for woodwork and firewood. Parts of the bark are a rich red colour and I am sure will give us a beautiful colour in the dye pot. We are going to make planters with some of the pieces, Caiden and Jenna are looking forward to hollowing them out with a wood chisel, there were so many wood shavings and we used these for a mulch for our plants and lastly, everyone got together and designed an obstacle course to enjoy! So even though our lovely tree is not standing in the corner of our property anymore, we have found many wonderful uses for it!

Happy Saturday everyone:)

14 Responses to Re-use, Recycle a Tree

1. Wabi-Sabi Wanderings June 5, 2010 at 6:23 pm #

It’s upsetting to lose a tree…but that obstacle course looks fabulous!

2. Linda June 5, 2010 at 6:32 pm #

Dear Wabi-Sabi Wanderings,
    The children just love it! Thanks for stopping by:)
    Warmly

3. goldenbird June 5, 2010 at 9:51 pm #

It must have been hard to watch that beautiful tree come down. How wonderful that you and your family were so diligent in making use of it after it was cut. I’m glad to hear there were no baby birds.

4. Dawn June 5, 2010 at 10:21 pm #

That’s hard to lose a tree, but it looks like it’s going to good use. We lost a tree in a windstorm a few years ago and used it for mulch all around the garden.

5. Redbeet Mama June 6, 2010 at 3:06 am #

Your changes look fantastic – I am scared to add that third column!

I love your stepping logs – what fun.

Much love, Nicole

6. Joy June 6, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

Oh, how fun. It’s never a great feeling to take out a tree, but what a lovely experience you turned it into. 🙂

7. Elizabeth June 6, 2010 at 4:02 pm #

So sad to loose such a beautiful tree, but I am so impressed with all the ideas you came up with to repurpose the tree. The obstacle course looks like so much fun.

8. Ann June 6, 2010 at 8:16 pm #

Great job done and you will always remember the tree beacause it will be used in a variety of ways. We did a similar project a few weeks ago – hard work

9. K June 7, 2010 at 12:42 am #

I couldn’t leave a comment the other day – darn blogger. We actually have had three or four of our trees come down. One broke off high in the air, and somehow came straight down like an arrow. We heard the earth boom – then ran outside and couldn’t see anything amiss. It took me ages to figure out that there seemed to be a new tree growing in the grove – in a cluster with three others. Happily, we identified the broken trunk and took it out before it fell and flattened a child.

Another of our big poplars ended up horizontal along our driveway one morning. Like a Christmas present – just magically, leaves blocking the walk.

All of them ended up as firewood for our family. But I have to say, the terrific, deep-throated boom a tree makes when it falls on the ground or against the house – it’s pretty magnificent and scary.

It’s always sad to lose a tree.

10. Blue Skies & Dragonflies June 7, 2010 at 9:13 pm #

isn’t recylcing the best?? so much is born from reducinb & re-using…necessity truly is the mother of invention!

oh, & please do share how to create a third column for your blog…

warmly, jessi

11. Nicola (Which Name?) June 8, 2010 at 5:53 am #

Hi there. I found my way to you from ROTH! I am sorry for the loss of the tree (I have blogged before about how sad this can be!), but the course is great and i am envious of the logs. They are just what I am on the hunt for around here for a project I am working on!
    Lovely blog!
    Nicola

12. Linda June 8, 2010 at 8:18 am #

Dear K
    Thanks for visiting:) It is quite scary when a tree starts to lean, you just never know when it is going to fall. I hope the pages are starting to load for you, thanks so much for letting me know:)
    Warmly

Dear Jessi,
    Recycling is amazing and just makes you feel so good that something is not going into landfill:) I will post in my next blog post about the 3 columns:)
    Warmly

Dear Nicola,
    Welcome and thank you for visiting! I think these logs will be a part of our children’s play for quite some time:)
    Warmly

13. Beth June 9, 2010 at 4:59 pm #

My children are fascinated by your obstacle course! Robin was horrified when he saw that your tree had to come down, but then when he saw the trunk pieces and your children playing on them, he decided it was great, lol!!
    xoxo
    Beth

14. Valarie June 10, 2010 at 6:41 pm #

I love the look of the three column blog. What is it about cypress trees? When they go, they go but you’ve made yours into something so lovely. I think it’s fabulous what you’ve done. It’s very cute. What great memories you can still have of this tree. Take care.