WIP Wednesday Knitting

The weather is cooling down quite a lot here, and that means that all our indigenous plants are coming into bloom! This is an Aloe plant that Erin is admiring. They have amazing healing properties and they attract the most wonderful birdlife, sunbirds etc… with long beaks, too beautiful.
Today was the first day we have had sunshine in a while, we went straight outside with our new little chickens and let them scratch around on the leaves and the grass. They looked very happy! The above photo is of Jenna’s fingerless gloves that I am finishing off for winter, a lovely pattern, you can find here.
These are Kye’s slipper socks that I am knitting. I have used the pattern from the Children’s Year and simply knitted the foot of the slipper in the round which makes it so much easier and means less sewing up, which is great! This is such an amazing book to have as part of your home library, essential I think:)
Yes, the bottom of the finished sock is a little soiled because Kye was so excited that I was knitting these for him, he has been wearing the one finished slipper sock with his socks until I am finished the other one! Sweet! I am almost finished the second slipper sock and then he will have two! It is such an easy pattern, you can just knit to your foot size:) Love it!

Foraging baby chickens…
Life is good!

14 Responses to WIP Wednesday Knitting

1. Nicole Spring (Frontier Dreams) May 5, 2010 at 6:05 pm #

Don’t you just love that slipper pattern? It’s the only one we use here. I never thought of knitting it in the round though, great idea!! I’ll have to do that for the next pair.

I am so jealous and so in love with your chickens. I want some so badly but it hard when we move every 4 years and never know where it’s going to be. I am going to live through you, ok? 🙂
    XO

2. Phyllis May 5, 2010 at 6:46 pm #

Wow! I have never seen an Aloe plant look like that! It is so beautiful!
    -Phyllis

3. Joy May 5, 2010 at 7:35 pm #

That aloe bloom is amazing! Just beautiful. Love all your knits. 🙂

4. softearthart May 5, 2010 at 9:55 pm #

Nice to see a bit of sunshine, Those chickies look happy cheers Marie

5. kendra May 5, 2010 at 11:24 pm #

i’ve also never had the pleasure of seeing an aloe bloom – what a fantastic photo! just beautiful! looking forward to your rhythm of the home contribution – you continually offer such lovely tutorials!

6. Dawn May 6, 2010 at 12:43 am #

The baby chicks are so cute! I like the color you’re using for the slipper socks. Have a great day! 🙂

7. goldenbird May 6, 2010 at 12:49 am #

How sweet that Kye couldn’t wait for you to finish both slipper socks before he started wearing them! Must be nice to have your knitting received with so much enthusiasm.

Can’t get enough of those adorable chicks.

8. Wabi Sabi Wanderings May 6, 2010 at 3:29 am #

I didn’t even know that aloe plants could bloom!

Beautiful sweet little chicks 🙂

9. The Handmaden May 6, 2010 at 4:25 am #

Oh, I love chickens, the noises they make are so cute and soothing! It’s good knitting weather here too, I’m going to a crochet class next week to hopefully learn!

10. sarah in the woods May 6, 2010 at 4:51 am #

The flower on the aloe is amazing! I’ve never seen the flower part.

11. S May 6, 2010 at 6:17 am #

Oh the babies are growing!
    I had no idea that Aloe had a flower!

12. Valarie May 7, 2010 at 3:44 am #

I’ve never seen an aloe plant before. How beautiful is this? The knitting looks fantastic. As you are cooling down, we are sweltering here. Your chickens are so cute.

13. Jen May 8, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

Linda – just ordered a used copy of The Children’s Year! It was one on my wish list, but your comments about it encouraged me to finally order a copy! I am sure we’ll enjoy it and I really want to try my hand at some socks!!!! (Still haven’t done it yet – lol!)

Happy chicks and blessings,
    Jen

14. K May 10, 2010 at 6:00 am #

The aloe is astonishing. The chickens are charming (don’t you have problems with hawks?) And knitting in the round is so much fun now that I can do the magic loop. Now, if I could just make myself stop making horses, I could actually try something else –