Chickens and a Treehouse

Treehouse

Treehouse1

Treehouse2

Treehouse3

Brenda2

Treehouse5

I still really enjoy spending time watching our chickens, they have managed to dig out a large crater in our flower bed right outside our front door. It’s their favourite sand-bathing spot, even Delilah, our cat, loves rolling around in it but it’s usually occupied  by three or four chickens at a time, so she doesn’t really get a chance! They are so very entertaining, the way they contort their feathery bodies, while sand-bathing. The chicken in the top photo is called Brenda, she is the matriarch and the loudest by far! She is particularly fond of the sand-bathing depression in the soil and chases any other chickens that may be occupying it, if she feels inclined to have a bath.

Caiden has been wanting to work on his tree-house with Richard, so they went in search of pallets and found a wonderful company, just down the road that sells them. They returned home with pallets and some wood to repair one of my raised veggie boxes! I am so grateful for that because the boxes are in quite a state. They have been working on their tree-house for the past two weekends and have built a really beautiful house in our Yellow Stinkwwod tree in the front garden. It has been very special father and son time spent together. I climbed up there for a short while yesterday and I must say there is something wonderful about being up in a tree-house! Caiden is very proud of his work and spends a lot of his time up there.

Tomorrow is the start of our second school term and I’m looking forward to it. Jenna held her own First Class scout camp this weekend, she had an amazing time. She had to plan the entire camp herself, apply for a permit for the venue, prepare costings and shop for food to feed ten people for two days and a night. Her planned activities were teaching the group knot tying, CPR and a wide game (a game that is played by all the scouts attending the camp that takes up the entire area where they are camping, in this instance a large field by a lake). She had to cook a stew over a fire and make bread. The rice for the stew was cooked in a hay box! I can’t wait to try this myself! Jen had a very successful camp and an amazing weekend! We are very proud of her for everything she has achieved.

Canopy Silk from Gypsy Forest

PS. If you haven’t entered the gorgeous giveaway from Gypsy Forest for a Large Rainbow Canopy Silk, go here to enter.

9 Responses to Chickens and a Treehouse

1. Pinkoddy April 8, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

What gorgeous pics. I’m very jealous of your tree house. My boy has his first cub scout camp this weekend.
    Thanks for sharing with the Spring Carnival.

• Linda April 9, 2013 at 7:17 am #

Thank you:) Scouts is so wonderful!

2. KC April 8, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

I’ve never been in a tree house. I think it would be really fantastic.

• Linda April 9, 2013 at 7:20 am #

It’s really fun!

3. Woolies April 9, 2013 at 1:09 am #

That treehouse would have been my dream-come-true when I was a kid. I didn’t have a treehouse, but spent LOTS of time sitting on tree branches, and climbing as high as I could. Wonderful!

• Linda April 9, 2013 at 7:22 am #

Hi Sara! Climbing trees is wonderful!
      xo

4. Jusa April 9, 2013 at 11:02 pm #

I’m so impressed by Jenna’s scout activities. That’s quite a bit of responsibility. I wish my son’s scout experience had been like that. I was very disappointed by what his pack did, and he only stayed in it for two years. Waste of time, really. I had this romantic idea it would be more like what you describe. I think it all depends on how the adults are running it.

5. Heather April 10, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

Chickens are so fun to watch! Ours have all dug their respective holes, but then they all try and pile into one hole – highly entertaining! The tree house is awesome too! We only have one tree in our yard, and not a good one for a tree house – but maybe at my mom’s where the trees abound the kids could set one up 🙂

6. Michelle April 10, 2013 at 5:53 pm #

I love your chickens! I have Buff Orpingtons also, three of them, and a Barred Plymouth Rock. They take dirt baths everywhere – I wish they would pick one spot like yours! They are characters indeed, and lots of fun to watch their behavior! Your yard looks like paradise. I live in South Texas, and we didn’t have a freeze this year, so everything is pretty green, so the chickens have lots of jungle in which to peck around.
    I have joined your site because I want to knit and you do interesting things and have good yarn sources. Thanks for everything.