Time to Knit

Rustic Earth Cowl 4

BFL Silk

Rustic Earth Cowl 1

Rustic Earth Cowl 5

I want to thank you for being so supportive in my last post, this has been such a dark time for me and I have decided that although I need to do something about what happened with my patterns, I really didn’t like the place it took me to in my thoughts. I want to separate myself from the actual awfulness of it all and not let it become who I am and what I think about each morning when I wake up. This, I feel would be detrimental to me and my family. SO the best thing for me to do, is knit, it’s therapeutic, you know:)  You gave me such wonderful support, when I was feeling my most vulnerable, thank you!

Picking up the needles again felt good, I didn’t think it would be that easy as I had a mild baseball injury on Sunday but thankfully, it’s allowing me to knit on my new cowl pattern.

Winding this skein of BFL silk into a ball was lovely, I bought this roving from Juno Fibre Arts and Jenna spun it into a beautiful skein of yarn. It has the most amazing colours, old gold, teal, a chalky lime green and copper, too divine.

I am trying something new with this cowl design, it’s going to have a few stitch techniques instead of one or two and I’m including dropped stitches. They are so fun, have you ever tried them? It’s actually quite a liberating stitch to knit. The yarn is wound around the knit stitch 2 or 3 times in the one row and on the next, 1 stitch is knitted and then you simply let the other 2 wraps just fall off the left needle, wow, felt good to do that! Can’t actually believe how I am referring to knitting but that’s how it felt! So yes, knitting dropped stitches into a pattern is wonderful, especially if you have a variegated skein, it manifests into a beautiful display of colour.

I will upload the pattern as soon as it’s finished together with a little tutorial on how to knit dropped stitches, I’ve called it the Rustic Earth Cowl.

Reading: At Knit’s End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. This is such a wonderful and funny book that I can identify with! :)

Joining today with Ginny.

32 Responses to Time to Knit

1. lori January 15, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

so sorry to hear linda, i hope things get settled on that whole issue, sounds like you are going in the right direction. choosing knitting to soothe your soul is a wonderful place to start. those colors are so very lovely.

• Linda January 16, 2013 at 9:12 am #

Thanks dear Lori, the knitting has been wonderful:)
      xo

2. Dianapri January 15, 2013 at 9:38 pm #

Beautiful. I love the fiber and how it looks

• Linda January 16, 2013 at 9:12 am #

I am enjoying this yarn very much:)

3. Sarah January 15, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

I’m sorry someone stole your patterns. That’s terrible (and really shouldn’t happen with knitters…)

• Linda January 16, 2013 at 9:13 am #

Thank you Sarah.

4. Janet R January 15, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

I ache with you about your patterns! The therapeutic yarn is GORGEOUS and I’m glad it’s helping. I know how I feel when I just HAVE to have some time to knit! Blessings to you!

• Linda January 16, 2013 at 9:50 am #

Thanks Janet, blessings to you too:)

5. Jody M January 15, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

I hope you have some recourse for your stolen patterns. That really is a shame. On a happier note, I LOVE this yarn in today’s post that you’re using for the cowl. What beautiful colors! Can’t wait to see the finished cowl.

6. angela January 15, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

hello linda,
    good for you,
    to just let it go and breathe.
    xoxo

• Linda January 16, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

Hi,
      I think that’s best:) Thanks.

7. Doreen January 15, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

Have to totally agree – that yarn is — is there something better than Gorgeous? I’m sure everything that’s troubling you will come out in the wash. When I get in that state I scrub my pots. Clever you, you’ve found something that is so much more fun! I think I’ll try it next time.

8. Lise G. January 15, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

Yes, knitting is so therapeutic and may I suggest a little mantra each time you drop on purpose those wrapped stitches, drop your worries along with them!

9. Marlene January 16, 2013 at 1:18 am #

The colors are great Knitting or crocheting is very theraputic. I hope the problem will be resolved.

10. Africanaussie January 16, 2013 at 2:07 am #

Oh that is absolutely the most beautiful wool I have ever seen! Creating beauty to cancel out hurt and betrayal sounds like a very healing thing to do.

11. nancy January 16, 2013 at 3:22 am #

Looking forward to the new take on a cowl! It’s beautiful so far!
    SO sorry to hear about the patterns, what a shame!

12. nancy January 16, 2013 at 3:22 am #

Looking forward to the new take on a cowl! It’s beautiful so far!
    SO sorry to hear about the patterns, what a shame!

13. JoAnn January 16, 2013 at 3:33 am #

Such beautiful yarn. Looking forward to the finished cowl. Hang in there! The pattern thief will go down.

14. Kim January 16, 2013 at 4:39 am #

Gorgeous yarn. Looking forward to seeing your finished cowl :)

15. K January 16, 2013 at 5:39 am #

Lovely colors in that yarn. And I can see how doing something that goes against the well-behaved grain – but which is, in fact, not a “bad” thing to do in terms of unravelling what you are trying to do (which is what makes immoral things immoral – they unravel joy and happiness and safety) – might be a bit liberating. A flight of fancy.

16. Lynn Spann Bowditch January 16, 2013 at 7:03 am #

Linda, it’s awful to be robbed – as a recent victim of the theft of some items of particular personal meaning and value, I can relate. Try very hard not to take this personally, but instead try to be glad that your personal circumstances are such that YOU don’t need to steal. It doesn’t make the theft any less wrongful, but it might enable you to feel less victimized. Good luck with pursuing some appropriate compensation for that of which you’ve been deprived – and can’t wait to see the final results of your work with this lovely yarn! Stiff upper nose (as we say in my family)! ;)

17. jezz January 16, 2013 at 7:17 am #

Such pretty yarn to help get you back in a positive place. Just know that all of us are behind you!

18. Dawn January 16, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

Beautiful yarn to knit and enjoy, good therapy indeed; give your mind time to reflect and decide on your future action.

Love and hugs x

19. Tracey January 16, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

I am glad you are in a better place and have knitting to help your soul!
    Think of you and sending good thoughts.

20. Holly January 16, 2013 at 5:04 pm #

That is such a pretty yarn!! Beautiful work! :) Have a great day! xx Holly

21. Alisa January 16, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

I agree that book is great!! I must say I love the yarn you are using…..gorgeous!!

22. Elisabeth Andree January 16, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

The yarn creates a beautiful effect, your cowl will be very lovely!

23. heathermama January 16, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

first off ((hug)) and number 2: wow that yarn you are working with looks amazing. can’t wait to see how this pattern turns out.

24. Susan January 16, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

Drooling over these pictures…

25. Kerry January 16, 2013 at 11:58 pm #

What beautiful yarn–such amazing colors!

26. katie metzroth January 18, 2013 at 4:33 am #

I really appreciate you letting us know that this is going on. I would not have imagined someone would SELL another’s patterns…give away to a friend maybe, but SELL? :(
    Knowing there are people out there like that is good though, so we can be more careful about where and how we buy patterns. Thank you for the education!
    I wish you the best of luck with a resolution and am so sorry for the loss you’re going through.

27. Lynda M O January 18, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

My heart reaches out to yours during this time of flux while you determine what can be done abut your sork. Your patterns are so lovely, Linda, I am really sorry this has happened to you,