In the Kitchen with Flowers…

These 3 photos are all of the same Hibiscus flower taken over a period of approximately 3 hours. While I was cooking lunch this morning I was watching this beautiful bloom open, I could almost see it moving while watching it. They close each evening at dusk and then slowly reopen over the morning, it was beautiful and such a happy colour. (I love yellow) I bought 2 of them at the nursery yesterday, as I was leaving I spotted them out of the corner of my eye and that was it! I don’t quite know where they are going to be planted yet, so I think I will enjoy them on the kitchen windowsill for now.

We have started harvesting onions, they are some of the largest onions we have ever grown, not that it looks big here, but they really are:)

Kye’s beans have been transplanted out into the veggie garden and are doing well.

I am so excited that Caiden’s Pink Bottle Brush tree that he planted for his cub advancement has started to bloom, I love that he chose the pink flowering one because the are so many red ones around.

Richard and I did some night time gardening last night, we bought plenty of organic veggie seedlings home from the nursery and then a terrific storm ensued which left us running for cover. Later on when the weather had calmed down, we went out to plant tomatoes and spinach in semi-darkness. It was so nice spending time together working in the veggie patch. We have decided to really give this area of our garden a go and concentrate on food production for our family and others as well. Food is becoming terribly expensive in the shops and with so much being published in the news about the recession etc… we really do want to become as independent and self-sufficient as possible not out of fear but because it feels right. I have been enjoying stocking up my grocery cupboard with non perishable items to cook our meals from scratch and also items to make house hold cleaners. I am enjoying this journey…

Chat soon:)

PS my lovely friend Carle’ is auctioning some amazing super twist sock yarn on her Ravelry group for Breast Cancer awareness, if you would like to join in go here, the auction closes tonight.

I have also added a sidebar button for my Mamma4earth Ravelry group, you can see it on the right side of my blog, we have been having such fun with the Camel pattern test knit. The group has grown so much during this past week, that I have asked a second wonderful member if she would consider helping me as a moderator on the group! It really is a wonderful space with such incredibly kind and special people, thank you:)

, ,

14 Responses to In the Kitchen with Flowers…

1. chelsey~ buggy & buddy October 21, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

That hibiscus is gorgeous! Amazing how quickly it opens! Our little garden seems to be at a standstill at the moment~ hoping to get going on it soon.

2. Karen Morris October 21, 2012 at 9:29 pm #

You may want to pot your hibiscus as it does not do well in the cold weather. Hibiscus has many benificial uses beyond it’s beautiful flower. Enjoy

• Linda October 22, 2012 at 11:28 am #

Thanks Karen this is a good idea as we live in a winter frost area.

3. Christina Lee Rood October 21, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

Linda! How precious your flowers, vegetables And your family have grown in beauty for others to see and tried in their own home gardens!
    Thank You for this treat of nature beauties to arrived today when i was feeling very low in spirits!!
    Christina Rood

• Linda October 22, 2012 at 11:29 am #

Christina, it is so good to hear from you! Thanks for popping by:)

4. Donna October 21, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

I want to become more self sufficient, too. We are entering winter here. What sort of non perishables are you stocking up on? I could maybe do that while I wait for spring.

• Linda October 22, 2012 at 11:39 am #

Hello Donna,
      This is such an exciting time isn’t it? I like to keep my grocery cupboard stocked with tins of whole tomatoes, tuna, beans etc…. I do make my own tomato relish and sauce but don’t always get around to it. I also stock up on brown sugar, couscous, brown rice, pasta etc… It’s also nice not to have to run out to the shops every 5 mins to prepare a meal. I have just started stockpiling and still have a lot to learn:)
      xo

5. Pam October 21, 2012 at 11:32 pm #

It is fun watching your garden wake up as I am putting mine to bed for the winter..we do have a late small crop of lettuce and spinach coing along. Now if they could just develop a delicious tomato that matched the speed of lettuce. Hope I’m not too late. You should get my Sqs. This week…

• Linda October 22, 2012 at 11:41 am #

Thanks so much Pam:) We have had a postal strike over here for a while so I am sure your squares will arrive soon. You are very kind, thank you:)

6. Tracey October 21, 2012 at 11:35 pm #

I hear you about how food is becoming so expensive Linda and really I find it a little scary. I wonder how people without means to garden survive, it must be so hard for them. My goal is to never have to walk into a market again, I still have a ways to go,but I’m working on it.

• Linda October 22, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Tracey, your garden sounds amazing, I am still working on succession planting to work towards that goal too. We had lovely rain yestarday right after we planted all our new veg seedlings. I still need to plant the spring onions and brown onions today and my children want to help me! Yay:)

7. steph October 22, 2012 at 5:06 am #

what a gorgeous garden already!!!

8. Jusa October 22, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

Lovely pictures. I’m so happy to see the bottle brush tree because I took a picture of one on vacation recently because it intrigued me. Unfortunately, I didn’t know what it was, so it’s a delight to have it identified for me. Thanks. I have a red hibiscus, but it looks so poorly. Not sure what I’m doing wrong with it, but I do love it when it blooms. Mine, though, don’t reopen. They only bloom for one day. Yours is a beautiful color.

9. K November 5, 2012 at 5:48 am #

I was thinking how lovely it sounded, planting in the half-light. Then I remembered our mosquitoes and the West Nile they carry, and decided that I would never get to do it myself. I know what you mean about the prices of things going up. I wish I loved gardening – I can’t think of anything more satisfying than see your plants grow and eating things that grew out of your very own earth. But the process, I don’t take to easily. And someday, it may be the way we must live instead of a lovely way to live.