A Simple knitted Headband / Ear Warmer Pattern and Tutorial

Here is my girl with her chickens… She loves them very much, talks to them and spends so much time with them each day.

I have a little headband pattern I would like to share with you Ravelry notes here, it really is an easy knit. I have used even handspun wool that is a single ply, to give you more of an idea about the weight it has 9 wraps to the inch and I would call it a chunky weight. It has a few rounds of basket weave stitch in the middle to add character…

I have been wearing mine today to keep my hair out of my face and it is very comfy indeed:)

If you would like to knit one, here we go:

5.5mm circular needles

Skein of chunky wool, (it is on the thinner side of chunky)

Needle for sewing in ends

Cast on 60 stitches and join for knitting in the round with Magic Loop technique.

Rounds 1-4: Knit in rib, (knit 2 stitches, purl 2 stitches across the round)

Rounds 5-7: (Knit 3, purl 3) across the rounds

Rounds 8-10: (Purl 3, knit 3) across the rounds

Rounds 11-14: Knit in rib, (knit 2 stitches, purl 2 stitches across the round)

Cast off loosely with a larger needle if you wish to give extra stretch.

Sew in ends

Happy knitting and have a super day:)

, , , ,

13 Responses to A Simple knitted Headband / Ear Warmer Pattern and Tutorial

1. sam September 26, 2012 at 2:32 pm #

That is cute! I’ve been really into knitting headbands lately too. They are quick, fun, and useful!

2. chelsey September 26, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

Thanks for the tutorial~ it’s definitely about that time of year to get going on cool weather projects here!

• Linda September 26, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

You are welcome Chelsey:)

3. Tracey September 26, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

My daughter would love one of these headbands Linda, thank you once again. You really are a dear and I hope you are smiling today!

• Linda September 26, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

Today is a lovely day, thank you Tracey:)

4. Emma September 26, 2012 at 4:58 pm #

Looks lovely. Thanks for the free pattern, I will be making myself one. Just perfect for the slightly cooler weather we are getting now it’s autumn.

5. heathermama September 26, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

what a great headband/ear warmer. i knitted one as well this past week. they are so nice when the temp dips just a bit.

• Linda September 26, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

Thanks Heather:) They are really fun to knit and so comfy to wear:)

6. Mackenzie {WhiletheWaterBoils} September 27, 2012 at 12:02 am #

That’s so sweet and simple, I love knitted headbands…I live in my caloremitry but could really stand to branch out! :) This week I’m sharing a Sunday Sweater test knit. :)

7. Ellisen September 27, 2012 at 1:02 am #

Thank you, Linda, for the lovely simple headband. Perfect for Fall!

8. sarah @ gladys in the garden September 28, 2012 at 3:26 am #

This is great. I must remember to knit one for next Winter. I currently have a rather unattractive lyca one for riding my bike when it’s cold. This would look so much nicer and more personal. Thanks for sharing.

9. Jenni @ Baamekniits September 28, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

Linda the headband is gorgeous, I will be making one of those for sure :-) Just looking thru your posts and catching up. The squares you are getting are lovely and I knew straight away who make that really lovely felt Peace Square…. isnt she clever. Your mums blanket is going to be beautiful and full of such love xx

10. K October 7, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

Lovely girl. Lovely hen. Lovely knitting.