A Visit to Irene Dairy Farm

Last week we travelled through to Pretoria to visit our doctor with Jenna and on our way back we decided to pop in at Irene Dairy Farm for lunch. We haven’t visited there for a while and I wasn’t even expecting it to be open but what a lovely surprise when we arrived and it was! It’s the most picturesque place! Large rambling farmland and beautiful green fields for their cows. The scenery is really breathtaking.

We had a delicious lunch with mama chickens and their chicks scurrying around everywhere, (both on the tables and off, so sweet!) and then we walked up to see the young calves. As we walked back towards the main buildings all the cows were walking up from the fields, no one was with them, they just seemed to know that it was lunch time, all made their way to the watering hole and then into their cow shed, so wonderful!

They also have a shop there where they sell homemade produce and certified raw milk and cream, I really should have bought more, it was so sweet and delicious! Can’t wait to visit Irene again.

I hope you have had a lovely week.

7 Responses to A Visit to Irene Dairy Farm

1. Stel July 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

We almost met! Went there yesterday. The deli on the stoep has the best ever scones with thick cream.

• Linda July 5, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

Oh wow Stel, I had no idea you were so close!

2. Natalie July 5, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

What a beautiful farm…all that great stonework. And the fountain! Sounds like a great day.

3. Tracey July 6, 2012 at 4:04 am #

Oh my goodness Linda, what a lovely place to enjoy lunch and spend your life if you’re a cow! I wish we had a place like that here, it’s beautiful!

4. Carrie Duvall July 6, 2012 at 6:08 am #

This place is absolutly gorgeouse!

With All That I Am
    Carrie The Handmade Homemaker

5. K July 12, 2012 at 2:32 am #

Laughing. Irene is a far cry from the cow farms around us – most of them meat farms rather than dairy, which might have something to do with it. The Irene farm cows are so clean, and seem very attached to their people. Our cows are half wild, all over the place, cheerfully dirty – and their barns and pastures attest to the devil-may-care, rough male farmer lack of worry about charm. Mucky, duct-taped up places with rail fences that are ancient and metal that’s rusty. I much prefer a lovely dairy farm where cows become family members and the owners take pride in their by-ways. When I come to put the horses in for the night, they often (but not always) come when I call them. And when I am late, they will often put themselves away.

6. Jill July 16, 2012 at 3:13 am #

Another place that brings back memories! We visited there and the Jan Smutts house many times. In fact, while living in Pretoria, our daughter had a lengthy surgery at Unitas hospital in Centurion. We went and had lunch at the Irene Dairy while waiting for the call saying she was coming out of recovery. I’m glad to see the Dairy still looks the same!