January?

I am still finding it hard to believe that we are in January 2012! It is amazing though, isn’t it? The year is new and holds so much promise and happy expectation. I really do feel that this year is going to be a good one. I am definitely going to spend much more time in the veggie and herb gardens and try to grow as much of our own food as possible. How wonderful it is to cook with one’s own produce and know where it has come from and that it has no harmful chemicals on it.

This is also going to be the year that I finally learn to crochet, I have tried a few projects, small ones and then after a few weeks, I forget all about the stitches and once again this beautiful art become a mystery to me. So I am really going to try my best to follow through and crochet something worthwhile and stick with it, because I do love it so…

As for the six of us here, there has been baking, cupcake icing, planting, drying of oranges for kindling and rose petal drying going on here. I also discovered a new type of tomato growing in our veggie garden, I don’t remember planting it and can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Hope you are having a lovely day where you are.

Sandy after a swim, she has also collected her toys…

Orange kindling and rose petals drying in the kitchen…

A wonderful tomato discovery, please do tell if you know what variety this is:)

11 Responses to January?

1. Forest-Dweller January 2, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

What yummy looking cupcakes….
    I have pulled out my Totally Tomatoes catalog and have found a few it could be…maybe once they are ripe we may be able to narrow it down.

German Red Strawberry: (Red)10oz and 3.5 inches long.

Cuore de Toro: (Pink-Red with stripes) 2lb 4 inches long.

Orange Strawberry (Orage) 1 lb and about 3 inches long

Oxheart Giant: (red with a green top)12oz to 2lb doesn’t give the length.

I hope this helps.

2. barb January 2, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

What fun, making beautiful cupcakes. I have a cookbook of fun cupcakes. Each month, one of my granddaughters get to pick a recipe to make. We pick a day that nobody else will be around, bake, decorate, and surprise everyone with our creations. Your daughter looks like she is really enjoying her baking.
    Love Sandy. LOVE your veggies. Wish I had a garden.

3. Kelly January 2, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

Dear Linda
    Wishing you and your family a truly blessed year ahead. Thank you for the energy, and activity for share with us and of course your creativity. I too am determined to really get crochet this year. Love to you under that African sun.

4. Linda January 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

Thanks Carrie!
    I am going to Google these names you have given me and see if one of them is growing in my veg garden:)
    xo

Hi Barb,
    Thanks for visiting:)
    Wishing you a wonderful 2012

Dear Kelly,
    I have missed you my friend, thanks so much for your lovely 2012 wishes, I wish the same for you. Thank you for your love and kindness.
    xo

5. KC Pagano January 2, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Your chard looks amazing.Were the cupcake for a special occasion?

6. CrochetBlogger January 2, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

So looking forward to seeing your forays into crochet in 2012! Happy New Year!

7. Linda January 2, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

KC Pagano,
    I love how the chard turned out, such a vibrant yellow. Erin got a cupcake kit from granny for Christmas and wanted to try it out:)

Thanks CrochetBlogger, I am looking forward to my crochet journey:)

8. basicliving@backtobasicliving.com January 2, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

The cupcakes look wonderful! Such pretty decorations. And Sandy is such a beautiful pup.

You chard is really pretty, too – so big and strong looking. I great a German Strawberry tomato that looked very much like the one in your picture, and I believe it had the potato looking leaf like that as well. It didn’t do very well for me because I got my tomatoes in late, and German Strawberry tomato took a very long time to get red. I only got a few of off it before the frost came. But the green ones were pretty danged good fried 🙂

9. K January 3, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

It all looks wonderful. Such fabulous cupcakes and strong, beautiful produce. I wish I had half of your earth connection, Linda.

10. Joy January 3, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

I love coming to your space during our winter and seeing the lovely green and growing things in your hemisphere. It feels so promising. 🙂 I hope you have a blessed 2012, Linda!

11. Rachel January 3, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

Oh I forgot all about the orange kindling and we’ve been eating oranges like mad around here. Thank you for the reminder. When I’d first read about the oranges on your blog I’d wanted to try it and I’ve plumb forgot! No surprise there…..

The cupcakes look quite delish and fun!