Tuesday in the Garden

Today while we were busy with our school work, I looked out of the window and saw the most beautiful Citrus Butterfly flying around, she eventually landed on our Litchi tree and stayed there for quite a while. I ran to get my camera, I really need to keep it with me at  ALL times for those spur of the moment photos. By the time I got back with the camera she was still there. She had laid an egg on the leaf. Such a beautiful creature… I think, now we will definately need to plan a few lessons from The Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Bostford Comstock.

Another photo I had to take was of the feathered girls having a sandbath, there are six in the above photo, this is their favourite spot alongside the driveway…

6 Responses to Tuesday in the Garden

1. sarah in the woods March 22, 2011 at 5:32 pm #

Chickens are so funny! 🙂

2. Lisa March 22, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

we’ve yet to see any butterflies. it is a beauty! i love seeing those chickens like that! so funny.
    have a great week
    lisa

3. Rachel March 22, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

Oh my gosh you gave me a start! I thought your hens were dead!

Phew!

Yesterday I went outside and measured my back yard where I want to add more gardens. I’m excited. This is the year! I am bound and determined to get some hens. I found a website that shows how to make a hen house that goes over square foot gardens so the hens can fertilize and scratch around in your beds while you’re not using them! Can’t wait to get started!! You can be sure photos will follow the process.

We use Anna Comstock’s book as well in our schooling. I’ve been using her handbook for years. This week we are studying spring bulbs as they are finally starting to come up.

So odd…..you entering the shut down and slumber for a few months season and us beginning the awaken and produce season. 🙂 I can guarantee while we are sweltering in the heat I’ll be reading your posts and whining about how hot it is and wishing it were cold as I have whined about how cold we are and wishing for your sunshine. 😀

4. Joy March 22, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

The photo of the chickens made me smile. I also thought they were dead initially. What silly girls! 🙂

5. Valarie March 24, 2011 at 1:38 am #

What beauty in your garden. I just love those chickens sunny themselves.

6. K March 25, 2011 at 7:55 pm #

A pile of hens! How funny. When Rachel gets hers, I am going to go lie in a pile with them. Running to get the camera – sometimes I just have to shut off my eyes. My house is bursting with treasures, and my computer – I have extra drives now, just for images. But how wonderful, wonderful, wonderful that she was still there when you got back.