Knitted Easter Egg Cozy Pattern / Tutorial

Hello everyone:)

Happy Spring Equinox to all those living in the Northern Hemisphere and Happy Autumn Equinox to those living in the Southern Hemisphere:)
I have been putting together quite a few Easter projects so that I can make them for my little ones for Easter morning and I thought it would be quite sweet for them have breakfast with these little egg cozys on their boiled eggs:)
I have used pure wool felt and made a butterfly, but you could also make a chicken, rabbit, ladybug etc… the possibilities are endless…
Knitted Easter Egg Cozy Pattern / Tutorial:
Cast on 9 stitches on circular needles. I have used the Magic Loop Method of knitting.

Knit 1 round
Knit into the front and back of each stitch in next round increasing your stitches to 18.
Knit 1 round
Knit into front and back of each stitch in next round increasing your stitches to 36.
Knit garter stitch for 12 rounds.
Knit 4 rounds of moss stitch or 4 rounds of purl for a rib and then cast off 🙂

Sew in all ends. Sew around the opening where you began knitting, just thread through the stitches and pull tight.

I cut out a butterfly shape and an abdomen.
Lay the abdomen inside the butterfly and pinch together and sew together from underneath. Sew your finished butterfly onto your cozy.
View from the back…

View from the front:)
I am going to make one for each member of our family with a different little felt creature on each cozy:)

Happy knitting everyone,
Warmly

Please note, this pattern is for personal use only, and not for resale, items knitted from this pattern may not be sold for commercial purposes, thank you.

12 Responses to Knitted Easter Egg Cozy Pattern / Tutorial

1. Heidi March 22, 2010 at 5:48 pm #

Linda your egg cozy is stunning! Oh my friend, you have to include it in our secret project… in ALL kinds of variations 🙂 I love the rainbow!

2. angela March 22, 2010 at 6:27 pm #

Linda,

Thanks for sharing these look so cute and I love how quick and easy they are. I will try and make one for everyone for easter morning.

3. Linda March 22, 2010 at 7:27 pm #

Dear Heidi,
    Thanks so much, I think different variations will work well:)
    Warmly

4. Linda March 22, 2010 at 7:29 pm #

Dear Angela,
    Thanks for visiting, I really enjoy sharing these patterns:) I am also going to knit one for each family member. It is going to be a busy knitting week:)
    Warmly

5. Val March 22, 2010 at 8:03 pm #

A lovely idea..Thanks :0)

6. Linda March 22, 2010 at 8:12 pm #

Hello Val,
    Thanks for visiting:)
    Warmly

7. K March 23, 2010 at 3:33 am #

And when, dear one, do you have time to educate the natives? As always, a delightful pattern.

8. momma rae March 23, 2010 at 4:32 am #

linda, i have shared the link to your lovely blog and these wonderful patterns with my local waldorf group. i hope you don’t mind! i knew they would enjoy making some of these treats for their little ones for easter.

by the way, our foundation studies teacher this month is from south africa! every time she mentioned it, i thought of you. she is from johannesburg (i surely did not spell it right) but lives here in the states now.

9. momma rae March 23, 2010 at 6:00 am #

can’t seem to stop leaving you comments, dear. 😉 pop over to my blog to see some pics of phillip and your lovely eggs in action.

10. Linda March 23, 2010 at 8:05 am #

Dear Rae
    Please feel free to share the links:) You are so kind:) Oh wow a teacher from South Africa, and you did spell JHB right by the way:) Leave as many comments as you like, I have just popped over to you blog and your Easter table looks beautiful. Philip looks very happy!
    Hugs

11. S March 23, 2010 at 2:47 pm #

Oh Linda, you are so clever and generous…such busy fingers. lucky little ones in your family :)Shannon

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Easter Egg Free Knitting Pattern PDF - Free Knitting Patterns - December 26, 2015

[…] Knitted Easter Egg Cozy Pattern / Tutorial from http://www.naturalsuburbia.com/2010/03/knitted-easter-egg-cozy-pattern.html […]